1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fish Forum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Nov 1, 2008.

1. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I thought it was gonna be about Phish.

But damn, fish are good to eat. Trout, tilapia, salmon, grouper, halibut ... just all so good. And that's without even getting into shellfish.

2. dargan

dargan Active Member

Interesting. I guess price by species depends on location. I think catfish is far more readily available and cheaper here than salmon. Orange roughy and tilapia are both good. Tilapia seems like it's gained popularity lately.

I'll eat anything that comes from the water.

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

No love for catfish, arnie?

4. ArnoldBabar

Yeah, I'm in Seattle. Salmon here is like catfish in the South. I love both in different ways.

5. dargan

dargan Active Member

I've eaten by far more catfish than any other kind of fish, and it's not even remotely close.

But, fried catfish is my favorite food, too, so, take that with a grain of salt.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Bingo. I could find catfish everywhere in Georgia. Not so much out west. Same with trout.

7. ArnoldBabar

Fried catfish is its own delicacy, but a well-prepared salmon is something else entirely. Like comparing a really good chicken fried steak with a great ribeye.

8. dargan

dargan Active Member

The question is ... have you had fried crappie?

When prepared correctly, blackout good.

9. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

I know nothing about the fish but think this advice must be quality.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

LOL!

Re: Tilapia

I eat a fair amount of it because, (a.) it's often relatively cheap 'round here -- like $5-7/pound, (b.) it's a tasty white fish, (c.) it's extremely easy to prepare. Sprinkle a little of Paul Prudhomme's Blackened Redfish Magic and toss it in the saute pan with some olive oil, and you have a delicious fish entree in a couple minutes.

11. Big Buckin' agate_monkey

Big Buckin' agate_monkey Active Member

Fish?

Always reminds me of the Fish Heads Song.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Tilapia is kind of popular these days because it's affordable, plentiful (I think almost all of it is farmed) and sturdy (meaning it holds up well to freezing and transport and also to just about any kind of preparation). I was watching Alton Brown the other night and he made fish and chips and used tilapia sted cod.

Draft saved Draft deleted