1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fish Forum

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Madhavok, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

Long story short, my new place has a 20 gallon fish tank with filter and thermometer. My new roommates said the tank was last used a month or so ago and being the fish n00b I am, I have no idea where to start. Buying new filter cartridges is at the top of the list along with running the filter for a couple of days to cycle the water. It already has 'gravel' in it along with fake plants, but I'd like to get real plants soon.

So, SJ Fish Nation, where do I go from there (or start). Thanks!

2. Unibomber

Unibomber Member

Go to an independently owned pet store that specializes in fish. You will want to do the gravel (wash it well first) and fill it and get a few chemicals (Stability, stress zyme etc.) and add as directed.
    For the first few weeks, just get some boring fish that you can afford to lose because you will lose some as water gets settled.
    After you do all this, take a sample of your water into the pet store after about 2 weeks and have them see where the algae levels are and whatnot. They will advise you along the way. In about a month, you will have optimal water and can get some cool fish.

3. JR

JR Well-Known Member

I thought this was going to be a thread about how to cook salmon

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

We got the same advice. Get cheap fish first, don't get attracted. They're gonna croak.
    We got four fish and they all lasted two years and through one move.
    Once they started dying, though, damn. We couldn't keep them alive.

My aquarium is out in the garage somewhere. Might be time to get it going again.

Oh, get an algae eater or something. We got an Otiscinclis. Named it Otis. Dude was cool and he lived a long time.

5. I thought it was going to have pix of babes in bikinis -- holding up fish someone else caught. Phishy photo ops.

6. lennon231

lennon231 New Member

There are many water filter for your acquarium in the website. My suggestion is check the different website.

7. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

We had an aquariam a few years ago, but it just took up too much space in our already undersized living room.

We had nine or ten fish, and one algae eater. Every one of them died in a week's time my senior year, and we gave up on getting more.

8. RossLT

RossLT Guest

My algae eater ate all my other fish, and the algae, so I guess it did its job.

9. dargan

dargan Active Member

I thought this was gonna be a fishing forum. But I guess that's why it didn't have the -ing at the end. I fail.

10. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

I thought this was going to be about the tilapia and jambalaya I cooked tonight. Mmmmmm ...

All the fish we had when I was a kid died quickly. So, I got nothin'.

11. dargan

dargan Active Member

Is tilapia the en vogue bargain fish now? I hear about people eating it all the time.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

No more of a bargain than a few other species I find regularly at the grocery store, I guess. When I cook fish, it's usually orange roughy or tilapia or salmon. When I feel like splurging, it's catfish or trout (which I can rarely find, seems like.)

Draft saved Draft deleted