1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firsts

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by e4, Jun 29, 2006.

1. I am in the middle of a fairly major home-improvement project and I imagine that when if I finish it and if it comes out anything like I envision, I will have one of those feelings. But my confidence level isn't very high right now. Me and construction don't get along very well. My past experience of working with wood consists entirely of, well, waking up in the morning. :eek:

2. CradleRobber

CradleRobber Active Member

[​IMG]

3. CradleRobber

Breaking 11.2 in the 100 meter dash my junior year of high school probably made me feel most accomplished at the time.

And buying my first pair of Oakleys with my first big paycheck from a newspaper at age 13.

4. The first time i was able to play a famous song on guitar (it was Wish you were here). That was a long time ago, but i still remember the excitment of being able to finally do it.

5. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

First front page byline was pretty cool.

6. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Sirs, Madames,

First sub-2 in halfmile. My high school's record by whole seconds. Beat a provincial champ and record holder miler in the process.

Otherwise, first board broken in the dojo would be there (until I realized it was no big deal), first black-belt tournament fight (my luck, I landed a 22-year-old cop who was six inches and thirty pounds heavier than me, getting out alive became the goal). First day as a doorman at the Shamrock Tavern, maybe.

First time I signed one of my books or saw it on a bookshelf or at the library. First review. Was sorta like the first time I was able to stay up on a bike.

Daughters' first steps, first words, first days at school. Not the first diapers.

YHS, etc

7. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

When I first read this I was thinking it said 10.2 and I was like, holy shit thats unbelievable. 11.2's still good and all its just that 10.2 woulda made u world class.

8. friend of the friendless

friend of the friendless Active Member

Mr Robber,

Had an 11.8 as a freshman (grade 9 canadian) which is of coursewhy my handle isn't sprinter. If I had an 11.2 I would never have ran more than a lap in my life.

YHS, etc

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

* My first ever byline (junior high story about a janitor)
    * My first time coming home from a Navy depoyment (that was freaking awesome)

But my all-time favorite first was when my little man first said, "I love you Daddy." That's a moment I wish I could have framed.

10. Madhavok

Madhavok Well-Known Member

My first time getting 7-feet out of the halfpipe at my resort last year. Sort of a big deal considering only a select few in the area (a pretty big one) can do it on a regular basis. Pretty much put me in the , 'Yeah, that guy can rip' category for pipe'; also gave me more of an edge in points in regards to comps for the rest of the season.

My first true birdie at my golf resort. A pretty easy hole to par for most golfers and I'm sure there was more than enough people to birdie it. However, for me to birdie it was quite awesome. Drove the par 4 280-some yards, chipped on and one-putted. My old man was impressed. Sadly, that was the highlight of my round as I shot a 87 on 18.

My first byline was pretty sweet.

11. CradleRobber

Yeah, it's just that right after that I injured my hamstring and came back senior year with less of a passion to perform on the track and more of a passion to write about sports. So I skipped a few more practices, and my competitive running career was over.

Halfmiler,

Are you suggesting with an 11.2 100 I should have "Sprinter" as my handle?

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My first hole-in-one.

148-yard, par-3, No. 13 at Gordon Lakes Golf Course at Ft. Gordon, Ga. 8 iron, Titleist 100-compression balata.

July 16, 1993.

I'm the only one in the family to make one.

Draft saved Draft deleted