1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firsts in your life

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dooley_womack1, Feb 12, 2012.

1. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

We were midgets, and we were proud.

2. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Oh, and from what I've heard, she's recently divorced and even more recently moved back to my neck of the woods. [​IMG]

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

First car: 1975 Pontiac Astre -- orange with black interior (freaky part? Ms. Slappy's first car was a 1975 Chevy Vega, same color inside and out. Astre was Pontiac's version of the Vega.)
    First concert: Not counting Kite-Flite's I worked, I think was Jimmy Buffett in Grand Rapids (just him and Fingers on the harmonica, 1980-81?)
    First On-Screen Crush: Samantha Eggar in Dr. Dolittle. I was 6.
    First PG Movie: Poseidon Adventure.
    First Death: My great grandmother Stanley (Mom's grandmom, and no, couldn't tell you her first name). I remember putting a candy wrapper in her coffin. I was 6, what did I know,.
    First Job: Delivering the Detroit News.
    First real Job: Sweeping out a photographer's studio (Shot the ad's for Hudson's and my dad worked in the ad department).
    First Job with a W-2: Studio Camera as a stock boy.
    First Date with a Driver's License: Cindy Mason at the Bel-Air Drive-In. Get the license, have to stay in the car, right? Kentucky Fried Movie, maybe?
    First Trip to a Major League Stadium: 1968. Tiger Stadium. Bat Day, back when they gave real bats. Drove up with my dad and uncle. We walked up to the stadium and dad started doing the four-pocket slap. He forgot the tickets. I was 7, but have never forgotten the disappointment.
    First and Only professional sport doubleheader: 1970. Had tickets to Lions-Bears at Tiger Stadium and Wings-Montreal at Olympia that night. It was the game where Chuck Hughes died on the field -- the only on-field fatality in NFL history. Moment of silence before the Wings game. Dinner between games at Lindell A.C. Was all anyone could talk about.
    First Beer: PBR. Sip from my Uncle Bill. I was maybe 6-7.. .Hated the taste.. "Ucky Booze" was all my Uncle Bill kept telling me... later died of cirrhosis..

4. Fly

Fly Well-Known Member

--First song I saw on MTV: ???? We didn't have cable.
    --First booze to get me puking: 3.5 Stroh's Tall Boys (age 12)
    --First car: 1974 Fury
    --First job: Cutting lawns for my best friend's dad
    --First concert: Ted Nugent/Blackfoot Cobo Arena September 1978 (?)
    --First home run over the fence: Age 16- summer league ball after graduating HS
    --First trip out of country: Canada (Toronto, Hockey Hall of Fame and Niagara Falls, couldn't have been more than 8 or 9)
    --First time on airplane: Work trip, Detroit to Indy, winter 1992
    --First death: oldest brother, a month short of my 6th birthday
    --First pro game: Olympia, 1971(?) Gordie Howe day vs Chicago

Slappy- spent many an evening on lawn chairs getting our drink on at the Bel-Air....

5. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

First time I had masturbated: See Dooley's sig.

6. Beef03

Beef03 Active Member

--First song I saw on MTV: No clue.
    --First booze to get me puking: My 19th birthday. I drank a lot of everything. There was beer, whiskey, tequila, rum, vodka and probably some other stuff. I was young and stupid. Still not much smrtr. I was proud that I had never puked while drinking before, the streak died an ugly death around the side of the The Druid on Jasper Avenue in Edmonton.
    --First car: 1981 Reliant K Car. It was parked for about five years before I got it. It became infested with mice over that time. They said it had been cleaned out, but every time you put the fan on it blew mouse shit back at you. This was during the big hantavirus scare in the 90s.
    --First job: delivering papers for the Calgary Mirror when I was in Grade 6
    --First job post-college: Sports reporter for the St. Paul Journal. Alberta, not Minnesota.
    --First concert: Edgefest 1999 in Edmonton's Commonwealth Stadium, headlined by Moist and Hole
    --First goal: First year of atom hockey with the Westwood Killer Dwarfs (we got to come up with our own team name). It was the winning goal in the first game we won all year, I remember it was December, I think. We were pretty terrible, but we had a lot of fun that year.
    --First trip out of country (Canada): Moving from Drayton Valley, Alberta, to Beaverton, Ont., when I was four. We cut down through the northern U.S. states, stopped and visited family in Chicago. I remember very little if anything.
    --First time on airplane: Six or seven. Flew to Tampa Bay, can't remember if it was out of Toronto or if we were back in Alberta at the time, to see my grand parents in Sarasota, also got to go to Disney World, etc.
    --First kiss: Grade 1, behind the school gym. Her name was Jessica. During the winter we would get married at recess then pulled around on a long crazy carpet for a limo ride. Every day. It was sadly probably the height of my dating life.
    --First death: Older sister, suicide. I was 13, she was 15.
    --First pro game: I think Flames and Maple Leafs in the early 90s at the Saddledome in Calgary.
    --First movie in a theatre: Lady and the Tramp, 1986 re-release, in Beaverton.
    --First cassette tape: Garth Brooks, In Pieces.
    --First CD: Ray Stevens Greatest hits

7. First Video on MTV: Separate Ways (we didn't have cable either, but the neighbors did)
    First cassette: My parents got me Kenny Rogers Greatest Hits to with a radio-tape player.
    First cassette I ever bought: Colour by Numbers (Yes, I am ashamed)
    First car: 1990 Geo Metro with no radio or air
    First car I ever drove: A 1983 K car (stick shift)
    First job: Stuffing inserts into a weekly paper (two days a week abouut 36 hours) at age 15.
    First job out of college: Assistant Restaurant manager.
    First time puking as a result of alcohol: Barcardi Rum and Coke freshman year of college.
    First movie: Pete's Dragon, one of two times I remember my dad ever taking me to the movies.
    First PG Movie: Superman II (also with my dad)
    First time I saw the woman who would become my wife: She was painting a Homecoming float. She had long curly brown hair, and spectacular breasts. It was a few weeks before I would actually talk to her.

8. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I think those of us in our late 30s/early 40s definitely remember what the first video they saw on MTV was because getting MTV was such a big deal at the time...

First MTV video: I Want Candy - Bow Wow Wow

First albums: Joan Jett's I Love Rock N Roll, J Geils Band's Freeze Frame

First cassette: Def Leppard's High N Dry

First CD: Bad Company 10 from 6, GNR's Appetite for Destruction, Metallica's Master of Puppets, Led Zep's Houses of the Holy and Pink Floyd The Wall. I got a 5-CD changer when I was a freshman in HS in 1989 after saving money from mowing lawns and after I made the $300 purchase, my mom told me she would buy me 5 CDs since all my money was gone. I still have the CD player and it still works, not that I ever use it...

First concert: Not counting seeing the Beach Boys or the Greg Kinh Band at the California State Fair. I saw Def Leppard when I was 9, maybe 10. It was the Pyromania tour.

First car: 1989 Nissan Sentra - I bought it new for $4200 with money I made selling baseball cards. It was a demo that they had more mileage that it should have for a new car and it was the end of 1989 and they wanted to get rid of it, so I got a crazy deal on it.

First time I threw up from alcohol: My grandfather's 75th birthday party. I was 12. We were at a Club Med and they gave us all wine for the toast and my older cousins thought it would be funny to keep refilling my glass.

First celebrity crush: Phoebe Cates, Alyssa Milano.

First death: My dad's mom, who went in for what was supposed to be a routine surgery, had a heart attack and died. I was 10.

9. RickStain

RickStain Well-Known Member

Just copying categories from everyone else's list

--First song I saw on MTV: I don't remember. I do remember the first time I watched MTV, which was forbidden in my house, and found one of their spring break shows with lots of bikinis.
    --First booze to get me puking: I don't drink.
    --First car: It was a Pontiac Grand Am, I don't remember the year.
    --First job: Working in the warehouse at the community college's bookstore
    --First job post-college: Sports copy editor at Sauk Valley Newspapers in Sterling, Ill.
    --First concert: Carman, the creepy old guy who did really terrible Christian songs
    --First trip out of country (Canada): Hit British Columbia on the way back from a tour of the western United States when I was nine.
    --First time on airplane: 16-years-old, my parents sent me on a trip to Washington D.C. with my grandparents as an early graduation present
    --First kiss: 17 years old, this really crazy balls girl I met online.
    --First death: My maternal grandfather when I was like 12.
    --First pro game: Wrigley Field at the age of 3. Have a picture of me on Leon Duhram's lap.
    --First movie in a theatre: Beethoven, for a friend's birthday party when I was 11 or 12. Before that, we didn't allow movie theater trips in my house, but that rule slowly got relaxed in later years.
    --First CD: Jars of Clay, Flood
    --First time I saw the woman who would become my wife: In the college food court. My first thought was "She's cute, too bad Matt met her first."
    --First date: 17-years-old, freshman at college, parents finally give the okay to date. Older kids at newspaper are determined to set up the two freshmen. She was nice, kinda cute (I wasn't in the mood to be picky) and had just broken up with her long-term HS boyfriend. I was supposed to pick her up and take her to a movie. About to leave for the movie in her living room, the phone rings in her bedroom. She says she better answer that. I flip around on her TV for an increasingly uncomfortable length of time, not sure how long I should wait. After about an hour, she comes out and says "That was my ex, we're back together. Do you still want to go to the movie?"

10. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

--First song I saw on MTV: Wasn't paying attention, thought it was a fad
    --First booze to get me puking: Schmidt's from a keg
    --First car: '68 Volkswagen
    --First job: Foundry worker (shoveled sand, skimmed slag)
    --First concert: Moody Blues
    --First single: Patches by Clarence Carter

11. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

--First song I saw on MTV: Abracadabra by the Steve Miller Band
    --First booze to get me puking: Montezuma Aztec Gold tequila
    --First car: a 1984 Ford Ranger pick-up with a bad carburetor. I wrecked it on the way to school about two months after getting my license.
    --First job: Working at Winn-Dixie my senior year of high school
    --First job post-college: Sports reporter at The Meridian (Miss.) Star
    --First concert: Judas Priest at the Mississippi Coast Coliseum in 1986
    --First trip out of country (Canada): We moved to Edmonton for a little while when I was 5.
    --First time on airplane: 6 years old, flying back from Canada
    --First home run: Took my best friend deep twice in the same game when I was 13.
    --First death: My great-grandfather when I was 5.
    --First pro game: Braves vs. Expos at Fulton County Stadium when I was 9 in 1983. Bob Horner missed the game because his wife was having a baby. Phil Niekro got the win over Bob Gullickson. Tim Wallach homered for Montreal.
    --First movie in a theatre: Star Wars, 1977. I was 3.
    --First LP: J. Geils Band Freeze Frame for my 9th birthday (also got a copy of Pac-Man Fever that same year)
    --First cassette: Michael Jackson's Thriller, I'm almost positive
    --First CD: Alice In Chains, Dirt (I was strictly a cassette man until I got a CD player for Christmas my sophomore year of college)
    --First date: Homecoming dance my junior year of high school. My parents had to drive us (under her parents' orders) and nothing happened, but I do remember all my friends being impressed that a fat lunkhead like me could get such a pretty girl to go out with him.

12. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

First NFL game: Oct. 21, 1979. Falcons at Niners. I don't know if this is true or not, but someone has told me it was either the first or only game that season where Joe Montana and OJ Simpson both played.

First baseball game: Royals at A's during the summer of 1979.

First basketball game: Lakers at Warriors on Thanksgiving 1980.

My parents took me to all kinds of USC/UCLA and Cal basketball and football games as a toddler, so I had no idea what my first college football and college basketball games were.

Draft saved Draft deleted