1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First, we kill all the lawyers...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by TigerVols, Jun 21, 2006.

1. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

...especially since the insurgency is in its last throes, according to our VP...

http://internationalreporter.com/news/read.php?id=1740

2. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

Man, leo's not going to be happy ...

3. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that sucks. i guess you can say he died as a hero in some twisted way. that said, he probably should've done like his colleagues and not stayed in baghdad. it was a bold statement and a 'fuck you' to the rebels by remaining in town, but reality is reality and now that he's dead, he's not doing anyone any good.

4. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I didn't have to read the story to agree with this statement. It's a good way to start no matter what problem you're trying to fix.

5. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Shiite hit or Sunni hit?

Looks like a Shiite one to me since the lawyer was defending Saddam, a Sunni.

Hell, what diff does it make? The police and army are lousy with Shiite hitmen. I'm guessing so are the prosecution, bench and jury. A total show trial.

Saddam on trial in Iraq is about as fair as the Rodney King cops' in Simi Valley. Ship his ass to The Hague. It may take as long at this rate, but it'll be at least legit.

6. leo1

leo1 Active Member

that's because you're an idiot

7. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I don't understand this. What is the point of killing Saddam's defense lawyers?

8. Ace -- I think that the Saddam trial is perceived over there as another PR ploy by the Iraqi government, and its American sponsors, to demonstrate who's in charge. I also believe that the militias are willing to attack any institution of the government, even the judiciary, in as many ways as possible. This poor bastard got in their way. Boom.
    The trial should be in the Hague, but since the US doesn't believe in the International Criminal Court any more, we're not the folks to bring it there.

9. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Really? That's your reasoned opinion? Never mind that lawyers, for all the good they do, are also one of the most hated professional segments in the world. Even Shakespeare had nothing but disdain for them. I guess old Willie is an idiot, too, right?

10. leo1

leo1 Active Member

what's the point of senseless violence? it's unlikely they sat around and thought out the rationale for this, so who knows? it could be anything. maybe it's a statement that (a) the whole damn trial is a farce (b) we support saddam and this lawyer is incompetent (c) we just want to show that we've infiltrated the police and no one is safe (d) we hated saddam so we're killing the guy defending him (e) we hate all lawyers no matter what side they're on (f) we are terrorists and half-wits so we'll kill whoever we can whenever we can...and so on.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

If that's so, they should go after the prosecutor. What a bunch of chickenshits.

12. I'm not sure they won't try. Or, if not then, then someone else. It's Dodge City over there.

Draft saved Draft deleted