1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First-Timer

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by KevinmH9, May 19, 2008.

1. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Hello, folks! Seems like an eternity since I've been on this forum. Having graduated from college this past Saturday with a degree in English, I'm looking to break into the business, however, I'm having some trouble doing so. None of the local papers nearby offer freelance positions and any of the positions on journalismjobs.com offer positions within my location radius. What did you all do to get out there and get your job? Thanks!

-Kevin

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You might have to move, Kevin.

3. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

There is no might. And if you don't have published clips outside of your college paper, start looking on state newspaper association Web sites. You might want to take a look at the Mt. Vernon opening.

Be willing to make a move to news. I see a lot of news openings lately. You'll be covering school board or city council meetings, but you'll also have some range.

Learn how to shoot and edit video, capture audio, put together Soundslides, learn layout, and generally try do as much as possible so you won't have to stay at the low rung on the ladder for long.

4. SixToe

SixToe Well-Known Member

Congratulations and best of luck.

Use "last Saturday" instead of "this past."

Move. Look elsewhere for a job. Get out of your comfort zone. Explore. Take a chance. Live on Ramen and Diet Rite for a while. Go forth.

5. captzulu

captzulu Member

What everyone else said. Move. It's unrealistic to expect to land a job in one specific area in this biz, especially right out of college. You might be able to move back into an area that you really like later on, but right now, take what you can get or you'll be spending the next year doing odd jobs to pay bills instead of getting experience, and you'll likely be in the same position a year later.

6. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Yeah, you're gonna want to expand that "radius" a bit.

7. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

First time? Congratulations! Bet it felt good.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

This is the truth, Kevin.

It will be scary, but keep in mind that moving around will help you advance and move up the ladder much faster than staying in one place.

9. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

For at least one of the people involved ...

10. KevinmH9

KevinmH9 Active Member

Awesome! Thanks for the suggestions everyone. Still looking around, sending out emails and crossing my fingers hoping for the best. Another question for those reading this post and having already positioned themselves in the "real world." Having graduated last Saturday, I still need to take two summer classes and will receive my physical degree in August. Will employers still hire on those conditions or will most turn you away and ask you to finish those two classes and try again at a later date?

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

You would have been in a really good position to try to get a summer internship and then latch on to the paper.

Have you had an internship at a paper? If not, why not?

12. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

It wasn't a problem for me.

Draft saved Draft deleted