1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First time across the Plains

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by MrMojave, May 30, 2006.

1. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Bubbler is a St. Mary's baby!

2. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Yes I am.

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Um, I-29 ends in Kansas City. Just saying.

4. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

My brother just drove from Cochran, Ga. to Yuma, Ariz last weekend. That portion on I-10 took him 10:59:44 to complete, including the stops for gas (twice).

5. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

I haven't driven the entirety of I-80 from Des Moines to Denver, but I frequent Omaha quite a bit. Check out the downtown area of Omaha, there's a shitload of bars and restaurants to check out. Underrated city.

6. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

I'm not advocating anything illegal here, but once you get east of Denver, you might want to light up some Mary Jane because it's the only thing you'll be enjoying for the next 10 hours

7. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

A museum. I didn't stop either.

Nebraska: Boooooring. Less interesting than Iowa.

Iowa: Cornfield. Cornfield. Wheatfield. Cow. Cornfield. Cornfield. Cornfield. Wheatfield. Cornfield. Cow. Cornfield. Cornfield. Cornfield. Cow. Cornfield. Wheatfield. Cow.

And if you go east of Denver on I70, you'll either be thankful for satellite radio or desperate to buy it.

8. MrMojave

MrMojave Member

OK, so what I've gleaned is this:

*  Stay the night in Denver and enjoy the scenery
    *  Unlike our fair part of the country, where you can see a cop on the side of the road miles away and generally there is a ratio of about 1 for every 150 miles anyway, don't plan on blazing by unless everyone else is too.
    *  If I do get pulled over, don't look like a drug runner, despite the odor of illegal substances used to make the plains less plain.  (Kidding, really.)
    *  Save Chicago for next time.

Thanks for all the input... any other notes worth noting?

9. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Twin Cities drivers are amazingly aggressive. You wouldn't think it, but they are.

Denver has a lot to see and do. Personally, I would love to drive through the mountains west of there. It's one place I haven't been to yet, surprisingly, being from a neighbor state.

Sound driving plan, going to Des Moines, then up.

Bubbler is right, Omaha is underrated. Put Omaha's own 311 in the CD changer for that part of the drive -- well, if you happen to like 311, that is. 311 has Grassroots, true.

And most definitely, you can't cram Chicago. Too much to do and see. Save it for next time.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Fixed.

11. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

12. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Isn't the World's Largest Ball of Twine in Nebraska?

Draft saved Draft deleted