1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First smartphone

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by HejiraHenry, May 17, 2014.

1. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

I've become anti-Facebook app.
    Look at the permissions - you're giving it permission to access any text message you send via your phone. Those messages are none of Facebook's damn business.
    I also hated the fact that anytime I took a picture with the phone it would ask do you want to post this to Facebook? It's none of Facebook's damn business when I take a picture and I'll choose on my own what pictures I want to upload and when, I don't need an app asking me with every camera click "do you want to upload this?"

2. Dyno

Dyno Well-Known Member

That doesn't happen for me. I'm pretty sure you can change the settings so that the FB app doesn't have access to your photos.

3. maberger

maberger Member

evernote, dropbox and google maps are indispensable
    weather and FAAwait if you travel a lot
    Uber if it's available near you

4. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

The mobile version of Google Maps is much better than the laptop version for me. Of course, the browsers on our work laptops are mostly shit.

5. lakefront

lakefront Well-Known Member

I am getting my first smartphone, bumping this thread for info. I am on ATT with the family, someone said I should get an unlocked phone then bring it to ATT for sim card. Partly to avoid apps from ATT that can not be removed. I have not even decided between apple or android. If I pick android there are a ton of phones to pick from. It is overwhelming. I still plan to use my laptop for things like quicken, SJ, Quickbooks. I want the phone for info on the go type of things. I want it to remind me of non routine events. I want to be able to text more of a response than "ok". (flip phone)

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I just got an iPhone8 with a ton of storage for all my granddaughter pictures. I've never much understood the complaints about iPhones. I love this damn thing.

My son got the X but that was a lot more expensive. He loves it.

7. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

I’ve had good success with the app Photoscan. If I don’t have a quality scanner available and need to get a photo from a printed source to the website quickly, it will find the edges of the photo and allow quick edits.

8. TigerVols

TigerVols Well-Known Member

The no-headphone jack is a dealbreaker for me.

9. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

It comes with a "dongle." That was my hesitation, too. But you put this thing in the charging port and put your headphones in that and away you go.
    I don't do wireless headphones.

10. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

That's very good advice, and you can only do that with Andriod.

And Andriod's better, anyway.

10 Reasons Android Beats the iPhone

11. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I love my iPhone X, but it's only worth the extra cost if you need the better cameras.

12. Hermes

Hermes Well-Known Member

Not if you throw away the box before you realize it comes with the phone and you need one.

Not my best day.

Draft saved Draft deleted