1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First school night

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by novelist_wannabe, Jul 31, 2006.

1. novelist_wannabe

novelist_wannabe Well-Known Member

My kids are nestled down in their beds with nighmares of schoolmarms dancing in their heads. Welcome back to school. Right. School starts tomorrow. 8/1/2006. When I was growing up we started almost a month later. I remember one year the first day was on the Friday before Labor Day weekend. Anyhow, this gives me pause to wonder why it's starting so early. Looks like a desperate attempt to regain our educational stature in the world, and I'm pretty sure I've read as much about these modified calendars. To which I say, all the schedule tweaks in the world won't make parents care, and there are too many out there who believe it's the government's job to take care of them and their children. OK, this was a poorly written rant (yeah, I went to public schools) , but I was just feeling a little perplexed over the summer being over for my kids. We didn't do nearly enough together. My fault.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

I think it's an attempt to equal the semesters for the high schools that have gone to block scheduling. Many places now try to make the Christmas break the middle part of the school year.

3. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

August 18 (Friday) here.

Believe it or not, high school football is just 18 days away. :eek:

4. peixeiro

peixeiro Guest

Ugh, please don't remind me.
    Autumn is easily the worst time of year to work in sports in the south.

5. John

John Well-Known Member

I actually think spring is worse because you got so many games every night of the week. In the fall, it's football on Friday and a few other (less covered) things during the week. Our call-in volume in the spring is easily double what it is in the fall.

6. expendable

Totally agree. There's a pattern to fall sports, and fewer chances of weather ruining a schedule.

7. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh, man, we get inundated with soccer every Tuesday and Thursday. Those fall nights are just as bad for us.

8. John

John Well-Known Member

I took my two weeks this summer, and had a couple of great trips, but I can't say I feel all revved up and ready for fall and football to be here. SEC Media Days helped a little, but I'd still rather be at a beach.

9. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

We've got girls soccer, volleyball and small school baseball pretty much every day of the school week. And, of course, football Fridays.

Oh, how I love our automated computerized phone in system that updates records and stats as we input them.

10. expendable

Adding soccer would be different, but where I am, soccer is a spring sport for both boys and girls. Actually, I wouldn't mind if it ewre moved to the fall. Both stick and ball sports are pretty big deal around here, and I could use the extra space/time.

11. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Holy fuck, where did all the time go?
    I've been out of school 18 years now and I still get depressed when the summer ends. Part of it is all the fun stuff I hoped to do but never got around to doing. I guess there's also something about the end of the summer, more than any other season, that reminds me that I'm getting older.
    I'm taking a vacation week next week and I'm worried that that's when one of my major high schools is going to hire its new AD.
    Every season has its things that make it difficult, but the fall is my least favorite. If all I had to worry about was covering games and writing about them, I'd be looking forward to it, but it's all the politics and bullshit that I can't stand (but it's probably the politics and the bullshit that make somebody willing to pay me to do this job, I guess.) For some reason, your work gets scrutinized more in the fall, especially at the beginning of it.
    Though I'm still working, writing and putting out sections all summer, there's also a certain amount of intertia to overcome at the beginning of the fall, too.
    Every year, summer just gets shorter and shorter.

12. RAMBO

RAMBO Member

can't wait tell that first game baby.

Draft saved Draft deleted