1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First Person in ESPN the Mag

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kimronspringle, Mar 25, 2013.

1. I was reading the Joey Votto profile in ESPN the Mag the other day. Is it just me or is the magazine incorporating a lot of first-person stuff in their stories? Guess what Buster Olney, I don't care what you noticed or did in a story about Joey Votto? If it's an important enough detail find a way to include it that doesn't insert yourself into the story. And you don't have to say Votto told you something. I'm going to assume that Joey Votto was talking to you unless I'm told otherwise (quote came from another source than your interview).

2. Dick Whitman

Dick Whitman Well-Known Member

It was used heavily in the Miguel Cabrera story we have a thread on, too. I thought it worked there. I'll have to read the Votto story and see how it compares.

3. I'll check out the Miguel Cabrera story and that thread. I'm not opposed to the idea of it, but sort of feel like its the old cliche with ledes. You can only start a story with a question once in your career. Do you want this to be that time?

4. Alma

Alma Well-Known Member

A number of ESPN writers have been doing that for quite some time.

5. Roscablo

Roscablo Well-Known Member

I've noticed it in magazine writing more and more. Even in Sports Illustrated there is often a passing first-person reference where the writer saw something or had some other thought. A lot of times it's just a brief passage and doesn't happen again. I always wonder why the writer thought something like that was necessary. So that we know he or she was there or talked to someone famous?

Draft saved Draft deleted