1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First-person article/feature

Discussion in 'Writers' Workshop' started by Idaho, May 4, 2007.

1. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Hello gang, I've got a situation I want some 'expert' help in since I really don't do this sort of thing often.

A year ago, my first cousin died while competing in a triathlon. Now, my SE has asked me to write a first-person article about me going to this year's event and 'finishing' the race in his memory.

I'll be doing the triathlon and I want to do well, but mostly want to finish and have a good story to write. I've talked with the race organizer, the widow and siblings. All think the article is a good idea and it's on for next week.

What's a good way to write a first-person feature? I haven't been a columnist at a paper since I quit as SE at a small paper five years ago. Any tips, suggestions, ideas for how to work the story without sounding too self important or self indulgent?

Advice via PM is welcome.

2. HeinekenMan

HeinekenMan Active Member

Can we read this now? I'd like to see what you did with it despite the fact that you received no feedback.

I'd say an interesting way to tackle it might be to go from a time/distance perspective, with a nice bit on the stretch of the race where your cousin died. Saving the finish until the end might be the little dessert that keeps your readers interested. But be forthcoming with the premise so that they know what's up.

3. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I think Idaho actually got most of his feedback by PM on this story, Heinie, as is sometimes the case here. I'll leave it to him to post or not the final product.

Draft saved Draft deleted