1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First names you don't see anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Feb 24, 2015.

1. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

My dad had a brother, Dick, who died in 1957. Nobody ever thought a thing of it.
    Nobody thought a thing of Mr. Van Dyke, either, for most of the Sixties. It was about 1970 that the name 'Dick' went bad.
    I suppose these days I'd go with Rick.

2. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

Harriett.

Cleo.

Orville.

Wilbur.

3. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Just think, in 30 years people will be complaining "how come no more kids have a bunch of random apostrophes in their name like back in my day..now it's all fucking tildes and question marks."

4. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Bernice.

5. doctorx

doctorx Member

Beulah

Bertha

Oliver

6. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

We have a family friend in his 70s named Dick, and in the last couple of years he's decided to introduce himself as Richard. It now feels weird to say either.

I have a friend named Jennifer who is my age -- born in '67 -- and she was one of five Jennifers in her Kindergarten class.

7. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

X'Zavier.

9. Wenders

Wenders Well-Known Member

Both of my grandfathers were named after Woodrow Wilson. (Paternal was named Woodrow, Maternal's middle name was Wilson.)

And y'all have named off almost all of my grandparents and great-aunts/uncles: Ruby, Ethel, Beatrice, Mildred, Lorraine, Ethel.

Some I'll add: Howard. Ellen. Clara. Edith. Harold. Bessie. Theodore.

10. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

Dorcas was the name of a child accused of practicing witchcraft in Salem.
    It still has some traction in New England; said to be a (literally) corrupted version of Dorothy.
    I am trying to think of other region-specific arcane first names- when Fart was in the Carolinas I remember an inordinate amount of Zebs.

11. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

I worked with a guy named Billy Bob once. His given name was Kim. Total loser.

12. Amy

Amy Well-Known Member

My mom's given name at birth was Bertha, but she changed to Betty. My grandparents were Morris and Fanny.

I have a sister named Deborah. My middle name is Joy. Amy Joy, the most disgustingly saccharine sweet name ever. I hate it. I wish my mom had named me Deborah, even if it meant two Deborahs in the family.

My dad wanted to name me Abigail. That would have been better than Amy Joy.

Donny in his element likes this.
Draft saved Draft deleted