1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First names you don't see anymore

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by 3_Octave_Fart, Feb 24, 2015.

1. 3_Octave_Fart

3_Octave_Fart Well-Known Member

When I was a young whippersnapper, I had a bit of a swirl with a beautiful, well-built young lass named ... Dorcas.
    Imagine introducing your mom to a chik named Dorcas, members and moderators.

Let's hear 'em.

2. Steak Snabler

Steak Snabler Well-Known Member

3. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Dorcas? WTF is that? Had a crush (everybody did) on an older girl on my sister's softball team named Tona. Never heard it before or since.

4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Ruprecht.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

My first name is Deborah. If I meet someone else with that name I assume they're in their 50s.

6. I Should Coco

I Should Coco Well-Known Member

I edit/lay out obits five days a week, so I could lay a bunch of names on you, especially women.

Opal, Lorraine, Dorothy, Roberta ...

7. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Ethel, Beatrice ...

8. Batman

Batman Well-Known Member

Gertrude

9. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Mabel, Ruby, Gladys, Gloria

10. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

Dick, which bothers this writer to Annie's Mailbag

Annie’s mailbox: ‘Dick’ nickname made fun of - Herald and News: Nation/World News

Dear Annie: I was born in the middle of the baby boom generation. My dad was a Pearl Harbor veteran. There were hundreds of heroic acts performed that day, and one of them involved a friend of my father’s, whose destroyer took a direct hit. Even with severe injuries, he lowered himself into the harbor and dog-paddled out to keep an unconscious seaman alive until help could reach them.
    That day, my dad decided that if he had a son, he would name him after this friend, whose name was Richard. The common nickname is “Dick,” which brings me to the reason for this letter. Seventy-five years ago, Dick was a common name, but not so much today. For years, I have put up with people making lewd comments about my name. At 6-foot-3, I can get in anyone’s face if I choose, and that usually ends the matter.

But I don’t want to do that. Instead, I’d appreciate it if you could provide a concise response that leaves little room for additional interaction with marginally literate people.

—Richard

Dear Richard: We are not miracle workers. The Beavis and Butt-Heads of the world will continue to snicker at your nickname because they never matured past adolescence. We favor the world-weary sigh, along with ignoring them. An eye roll is optional. You also could introduce yourself as “Rick” or “Rich,” both common nicknames for Richard that will elicit fewer asinine reactions. But we will open the floor to our readers, who are sure to come up with a greater variety of responses. (Please keep them printable, folks.)

11. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Marjorie

And damn, Steak beat me to Adolph, although I spell it Adolf.

When I was a kid, I named my all white cat Adolf.

My friend named his cat Ayatollah.

My cat actually responded to Adolf. I think Ayatollah always was confused and wondered why the fuck he was named that.

That reminds me, I had a second cat named Benito. That name doesn't get much traction either.

12. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Peggy.

And Zelda. I don't hear of many women named Joy these days. Or Jo.

My grandmothers' names were Ethel and Gertie. you don't hear either of those much anymore. My mother in law's name was Gay. That one has kind of faded away, too.

Draft saved Draft deleted