1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First name or last name

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Rosie, May 22, 2007.

1. casty33

casty33 Active Member

Mert, I wasn't aware of it but found out that the NY Times has obits already in the computer on practically every famous person living. Just in case. That's why we did a few of them a couple of years ago. So the paper is now ready if and when Berra, Rizzuto, Ford, Steinbrenner and a few others leave us.

2. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

I think the first name was fine. But I'm just curious, Rosie, what is it about your place that Mr. or whatever wouldn't be allowed? A lot of papers do obits that way.

3. Rosie

Rosie Active Member

Why "Mr." wouldn't have worked. This was not a guy referred to as "Mr." Not even by the school kids. If I would have said Mr. Smith, it would have looked extremely wrong.

SF, it wasn't an obit, just a small tribute at the end of this week's column.

Thanks again, everyone, for your input. I've enjoyed reading everyone's thoughts on this.

4. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Casty, I'm pretty sure it's when rather than if. But you never know with Yogi.

5. JackS

JackS Member

Hard to believe you weren't aware of that. I actually thought it was common practice.

Here's what has happened occasionally though...an obit ends up running with a deceased person's byline.

Now *that's* freaky.

6. Flash

Flash Guest

Read Basket Case by Carl Hiassen ... main character writes obits ... talks about keeping them banked ...

7. MertWindu

MertWindu Active Member

Yeah, I was making a joke about that because Bill Simmons has ranted on several occasions about how shocked and angry he was when he found out the Herald had a Red Auerbach obit in the can back in the late 80's. Apparently he was so pissed that he deleted it.

8. FishHack76

FishHack76 Active Member

"I'm the Dude. So that's what you call me. You know, that or, uh, His Dudeness, or uh, Duder, or El Duderino if you're not into the whole brevity thing."

Draft saved Draft deleted