1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First look -- Sun Sentinel redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Jamming together Sun-Sentinel into "SunSentinel" is very ........1970s. Like labeling a page "BizBits" or "SportsStats."

Yep, that will attract young readers!

2. VJ

VJ Member

Good thing Tribune isn't laying off designers and editors who will be needed to put out a design-intensive product like this. Oh wait...

3. MMatt60

MMatt60 Member

Actually, Tribune has been adding expensive designers while at the same time axing other newsroom members.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

To put designs (that, frankly, a bunch of recently released dinosaurs were doing a dozen years ago) on a muddy newsprint that more often than not gets printed a quarter-pica off register, rendering even the most expertly designed color elements a radioactive eyesore.

5. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Is that a comic book or a newspaper? Too many pastel colored boxes and shades. Wow.

6. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Very true. Some days there won't be a made-for-art centerpiece and some days will just be damn slow for news. If your template is to tease 17 stories, you're gonna be teasing dog track agate at some point.

8. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

SANTA'S LITTLE HELPER WINS, FINALLY!

9. Lollygaggers

Lollygaggers Member

In the other headline on the top it reads "Gunman Kills 2 in West Palm beach neighborhood." Either they forgot to capitalize the B in beach, or it's a beach neighborhood and they're just referring to West Palm Beach as West Palm.

10. Horrible. Just horrible.

What size web is that on? Anyone know?

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Hey, contests, different deal. And really bad leads? That will stop me as a reader AND a contest judge.

I might have been overmaking a point, but I think we're in the same place.

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Ah, it's one of those "We want younger readers" design while alienating their major demographic, the over 50 crowd. So they'll lose on both counts.

To me, the design doesn't work at any level you can think of, including a marketing one.

Oh, and the "Where's our rebate" headline drives me crazy.

The whole design gives me a headache

Draft saved Draft deleted