1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First look -- Sun Sentinel redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 11, 2008.

1. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

Thumbs down from a former South Floridian.

2. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's freakin' solid.

Sad, but solid.

3. expendable

expendable Well-Known Member

That's SouthFloridian to them...

4. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the bad grammar in the hed:

HEY, WHERE'S OUR REBATE CHECKS?

Hey, where is our rebate checks? No!!! Where ARE our rebate checks. Cut them all!

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Forget looking here. I went over to the place where true designers go -- comicbookguy.com -- or whatever it is supposed to be. His head hasn't exploded yet, so it must be OK...

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

It's not innovative, period. I saw mock front pages with all teases and an art-heavy centerpiece 10 years ago.

7. partain

partain Member

Looks very similar to a redesign of the Colorado Springs Gazette a few years back. They went with a big 'G' in the upper corner. I think it lasted six months before going mostly back to the previous format.

Guess that means it didn't work there. I have no reason to believe the outcome in South Florida will be any better.

8. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

It isn't awful.
    It isn't great.
    They use typography as an art element, which seems more like a small paper where you don't have wire photography to lean on. Like playthrough, I saw similar designs more than a decade ago. All refers and a one-story centerpiece.
    I don't like how they eliminated the flag. The button logo is fine, if it used in conjunction with something else but it isn't in this case.
    If the idea was to be completely different than the competition, I would say it was a success.

9. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

The cheeseball "Help Team Consumer Report" label that they so blatently stole from last place TV newscasts everywhere is what set me over the edge, I think. Why not go all the way and use "Stay classy South Florida" as a page-topper?

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

First thing I saw, first thing I thought.
    If the story has a mistake in the lede, why read it? If the top headline in the whole paper has a head bust, why read it?

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Well, not to excuse it whatsoever, but I don't let a typo or even a head break stop me from reading a story. That's a nice old journalism saw -- doesn't really work that way.

Property taxes cot 30 percent

I'm not going to read that? Sorry.

That said, this is now my "new" paper, and just continuing an unhappy trend.

12. Diabeetus

Diabeetus Active Member

I'd still read it...it's just a pet peeve of mine and a mistake someone shouldn't have made. Especially on something going on display to show off a redesign.

Draft saved Draft deleted