1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First look -- Sun Sentinel redesign

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by steveu, Aug 11, 2008.

1. steveu

steveu Well-Known Member

Or should I say now, SunSentinel. That's right, no hyphen. Like the poster at visualeditors.com says, Tribune cut back the hyphen too.

Visualeditors.com has more: http://www.visualeditors.com/apple/2008/08/first-look-south-florida-sunsentinel-redesign/

Fire away. ;)

2. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

1) That's really fucking busy. Ugh.

2) Why write stories when you can just have refers? Whoever came up with that was stupid.

3. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

"Hard to stomach" ...

Delicious, delicious irony.

4. da man

da man Well-Known Member

Once more, is it irony that the big headline reads "Hard to Stomach"?

Edit: Aaaaaaaaaargh! Beat me to it.

5. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

That giant "S" looks like a supermarket logo. I'm still fuddy-duddy enough to want the name of my paper at and across the top. Take the rest of the space for the goofy stuff, like 12 teases for 20 pages of news.

6. spnited

spnited Active Member

So what redeisgners do now is take a few cans of paint, throw them against a wall and decide how those colors will look on a newspaper page.

Those top of the page refers are god-awful, the centerpiece (or is it ONLYpiece) on the page is way too busy.
    I'd like the bottom page refers if there were fewer of them nd not 17 different colors.

7. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

Of all its problems, the one thing that struck me was the abundance of the color red. I'm not sure of the effectiveness of a employing a specific color palette to help establish a paper's identity, but when I think south Florida, I don't think red. Blech.

8. jlee

jlee Well-Known Member

"We're after occasional readers, people who don't feel they have the time or enough interest to read our paper on a regular basis."

Great strategy.

Still, good to see someone doing more than just laying off a few dozen people.

9. pallister

pallister Guest

I don't understand why redesigns seem to get locked into one "innovative" idea. Every recent design I've seen has been based on the same general template. It's not innovative if everyone's doing it.

10. Saint Lou

Saint Lou Member

Wow. Just awful.

11. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

I don't think newspapers want to survive. I think we're all just bit players in the world's largest production of "Springtime for Hitler."

12. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Wonder how much they save in ink by dropping that pesky hyphen?

It did remind me I need to stop at the grocery store on the way home. The Queen is on the road again so the dogs and I will eat some steak.

Draft saved Draft deleted