1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First job out of college

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PEteacher, Jul 9, 2006.

?

Where was your first journalism job out of college at?

1. Weekly

10 vote(s)
    10.2%
  2. Daily circ. less than 10,000

12 vote(s)
    12.2%
  3. Daily circ. 10,000 to 24,999

29 vote(s)
    29.6%
  4. Daily circ. 25,000 to 49,999

16 vote(s)
    16.3%
  5. Daily circ. 50,000 to 74,999

7 vote(s)
    7.1%
  6. Daily circ. 75,000 to 99,999

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  7. Daily circ. 100,000 to 149,999

6 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Daily circ. 150,000 to 199,999

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  9. Daily circ. 200,000 to 299,999

4 vote(s)
    4.1%
  10. Daily circ. 300,000+

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  11. New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journ

3 vote(s)
    3.1%
  12. Magazine

2 vote(s)
    2.0%
  13. Trade publication

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Funny thing about radio ... it never seemed as "real" to me as print.

2. txsportsscribe

txsportsscribe Active Member

i still have the final sunday and final monday issues of the times herald. didn't actually work for the herald but would use a computer at their sports dept. to do agate work at nights for the old southwest conference for one of the nicest guys i've still ever met in sports, bo carter.

3. spup1122

spup1122 Guest

I know what you mean. I could only give a snippet of what I wanted to say, and most of the time, the only information I had was from a phoner. I wanted to actually SEE what was going on, not just hear what someone said about it.

4. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Started out at a 3k weekly after stringing for yonks at the hometown 30k.

5. PEteacher

PEteacher Member

Wow. The guy/gal who started at "New York Times, Washington Post, Los Angeles Times, Boston Globe, Chicago Tribune, Wall Street Journal" ... damn

Otherwise, the curve seemed exactly as I thought, with me being right on top of the bell curve, starting at a 30K daily.

6. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll second that one - Bo Carter is great.

7. Barre-Montpelier (Vt.) Times Argus, about 10K circ., 11 years ago. Made 18K and was psyched - for about three months.

8. (Wichita Falls, Tx.) Times Record News 30K daily almost eight years ago. Made 21K, but rent was just $400 a month for a three-bedroom house (plus I lived around the corner from my parents). Ah, the good old days.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Same here. Although my first paper was a 25K when I started, dropped to 22K by the time I left five years later. It's probably hovering around 20K now, but I doubt they'd admit it. So I voted for the 10-24K range.

10. started at a 30,000 daily covering HS girls soccer, field hockey, softball, etc. and then they gave me a bowling column. I made $200 a week, but I loved the job, the atmosphere, the people, the work. they were paying me to write? couldn't believe it. still can't.

11. RossLT

RossLT Guest

Doin it right now. Klamath Falls Herald and News in Klamath Falls, Oregon. 18,000+ circ.

12. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

If everyone was like Bo Carter we'd have such easy jobs. I called him at the Big 12 offices one time and could barely get off the phone with him. He thought there must be something else he could help me with and made sure I had his cell and home numbers "just in case you ever need me late."

Back on topic, I started at a 15,000 then moved on to a 25,000 about seven months later.

Draft saved Draft deleted