1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 4, 2008.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Nice to see the apple doesn't fall far...

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

conviction. that's why i love kids ... most of them have conviction.

it's a nice break from the other folks we interact with every day.

3. jps

jps Active Member

seriously, tom? pretty sure most of the people on here have at least one or two convictions ...

4. I Digress

I Digress Guest

my girl started kindergarten a few weeks ago.. it's been good and it's fired up her desire to read.....i was a little apprehensive the first day we couldn't walk them to their classes and she had to find the cafeteria on her own... she told me later that she 'followed the crowd.'... today, she cried when I woke her up because she wasn't ready to get up. Her day starts at 6:45 a.m. "I didn't get any sleep at all."
    That's hard.

Ohio did half day kindergarten for a long, long time... I was in it a long, long time ago. Mom sent me in the afternoon because I was a sleeper. Probably the only kid in America that ever cried for getting woke up early on Christmas day.. I think that was when I was 3 or 4, circa 1966..

5. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

Full day kindergarten is the norm where I live.

Walk into a kindergarten class and see what is being taught.

Here are two subjects (math and science) that Virginia teachers are expected to teach student in kindergarten.

I am actually for this, but it shows you why we do the full day here in the Commonwealth.

Kindergarten
    The kindergarten standards place emphasis on developing the concept of number by counting;
    combining, sorting, and comparing sets of objects; recognizing and describing simple repeating
    patterns; and recognizing shapes and sizes of figures and objects. Students will investigate
    nonstandard measurement, collect data, and create graphs.
    While learning mathematics, students will be actively engaged, using concrete materials and
    appropriate technologies such as calculators and computers. However, facility in the use of
    technology shall not be regarded as a substitute for a student’s understanding of quantitative
    concepts and relationships or for proficiency in basic computations.
    Mathematics has its own language, and the acquisition of specialized vocabulary and language
    patterns is crucial to a student’s understanding and appreciation of the subject. Students should
    be encouraged to use correctly the concepts, skills, symbols, and vocabulary identified in the
    following set of standards.
    Problem solving has been integrated throughout the six content strands. The development of
    problem-solving skills should be a major goal of the mathematics program at every grade level.
    Instruction in the process of problem solving will need to be integrated early and continuously
    into each student’s mathematics education. Students must be helped to develop a wide range of
    skills and strategies for solving a variety of problem types.
    Number and Number Sense
    K.1 The student, given two sets containing 10 or fewer concrete items, will identify and
    describe one set as having more, fewer, or the same number of members as the other set,
    using the concept of one - to - one correspondence.
    K.2 The student, given a set containing 10 or fewer concrete items, will
    a) tell how many are in the set by counting the number of items orally;
    b) select the corresponding numeral from a given set; and
    c) write the numeral to tell how many are in the set.
    K.3 The student, given an ordered set of three objects and/or pictures, will indicate the ordinal
    position of each item, first through third, and the ordered position of each item from leftto-
    right, right-to- left, top-to-bottom, and/or bottom- to-top.
    K.4 The student will investigate and recognize patterns from counting by fives and tens to 30,
    using concrete objects and a calculator.
    K.5 The student will count forward to 30 and backward from 10.
    Computation and Estimation
    K.6 The student will add and subtract whole numbers, using up to 10 concrete items.
    Measurement
    K.7 The student will recognize a penny, nickel, dime, and quarter and will determine the
    value of a collection of pennies and/or nickels whose total value is 10 cents or less.
    K.8 The student will identify the instruments used to measure length (ruler), weight (scale),
    time (clock: digital and analog; calendar: day, month, and season), and temperature
    (thermometer).
    K.9 The student will tell time to the hour, using an analog or digital clock.
    K.10 The student will compare two objects or events, using direct comparisons or nonstandard
    units of measure, according to one or more of the following attributes: length (shorter,
    longer), height (taller, shorter), weight (heavier, lighter), temperature (hotter, colder).
    Examples of nonstandard units include foot length, hand span, new pencil, paper clip,
    block.
    Geometry
    K.11 The student will identify, describe, and draw two-dimensional (plane) geometric figures
    (circle, triangle, square, and rectangle).
    K.12 The student will describe the location of one object relative to another (above, below,
    next to) and identify representations of plane geometric figures (circle, triangle, square,
    and rectangle) regardless of their position and orientation in space.
    K.13 The student will compare the size (larger, smaller) and shape of plane geometric figures
    (circle, triangle, square, and rectangle).
    Probability and Statistics
    K.14 The student will gather data relating to familiar experiences by counting and tallying.
    K.15 The student will display objects and information, using objects graphs, pictorial graphs
    and tables.
    K.16 The student will investigate and describe the results of dropping a two-colored counter or
    using a multicolored spinner.
    Patterns, Functions, and Algebra
    K.17 The student will sort and classify objects according to similar attributes (size, shape, and
    color).
    K.18 The student will identify, describe, and extend a repeating relationship (pattern) found in
    common objects, sounds, and movements.

Kindergarten
    The kindergarten standards stress the use of basic science skills to explore common materials, objects,
    and living things. Emphasis is placed on using the senses to gather information. Students are expected to
    develop skills in posing simple questions, measuring, sorting, classifying, and communicating
    information about the natural world. The science skills are an important focus as students learn about life
    processes and properties of familiar materials, such as magnets and water. Through phenomena including
    shadows, patterns of weather, and plant growth, students are introduced to the concept of change. The
    significance of natural resources and conservation is introduced in the kindergarten standards.
    Scientific Investigation, Reasoning, and Logic
    K.1 The student will conduct investigations in which
    a) basic properties of objects are identified by direct observation;
    b) observations are made from multiple positions to achieve different perspectives;
    c) objects are described both pictorially and verbally;
    d) a set of objects is sequenced according to size;
    e) a set of objects is separated into two groups based on a single physical attribute;
    f) nonstandard units are used to measure common objects;
    g) a question is developed from one or more observations;
    h) picture graphs are constructed using 10 or fewer units;
    i) an unseen member in a sequence of objects is predicted; and
    j) unusual or unexpected results in an activity are recognized.
    K.2 Students will investigate and understand that humans have senses that allow one to seek, find,
    take in, and react or respond to information in order to learn about one’s surroundings. Key
    concepts include
    a) five senses and corresponding sensing organs (taste – tongue, touch – skin, smell – nose,
    hearing – ears, and sight – eyes); and
    b) sensory descriptors (sweet, sour, bitter, salty, rough/smooth, hard/soft, cold, warm, hot,
    loud/soft, high/low, bright/dull).
    Force, Motion, and Energy
    K.3 The student will investigate and understand that magnets have an effect on some materials, make
    some things move without touching them, and have useful applications. Key concepts include
    a) attraction/nonattraction, push/pull, attract/repel, and metal/nonmetal; and
    b) useful applications (refrigerator magnet, can opener, magnetized screwdriver, and magnetic
    games).
    Matter
    K.4 The student will investigate and understand that the position, motion, and physical properties of
    an object can be described. Key concepts include
    a) colors (red, orange, yellow, green, blue, purple), white, and black;
    b) shapes (circle, triangle, square, and rectangle) and forms (flexible/stiff, straight/curved);
    c) textures (rough/smooth) and feel (hard/soft);
    d) relative size and weight (big/little, large/small, heavy/light, wide/thin, long/short); and
    e) position (over/under, in/out, above/below, left/right) and speed (fast/slow).
    Science Standards of Learning
    K.5 The student will investigate and understand that water flows and has properties that can be
    observed and tested. Key concepts include
    a) water occurs in different states (solid, liquid, gas);
    b) the natural flow of water is downhill; and
    c) some materials float in water, while others sink.
    Life Processes
    K.6 The student will investigate and understand basic needs and life processes of plants and animals.
    Key concepts include
    a) living things change as they grow, and they need food, water, and air to survive;
    b) plants and animals live and die (go through a life cycle); and
    c) offspring of plants and animals are similar but not identical to their parents and to one
    another.
    Interrelationships in Earth/Space Systems
    K.7 The student will investigate and understand that shadows occur when light is blocked by an
    object. Key concepts include
    a) shadows occur in nature when sunlight is blocked by an object; and
    b) shadows can be produced by blocking artificial light sources.
    Earth Patterns, Cycles, and Change
    K.8 The student will investigate and understand simple patterns in his/her daily life. Key concepts
    include
    a) weather observations;
    b) the shapes and forms of many common natural objects including seeds, cones, and leaves;
    c) animal and plant growth; and
    d) home and school routines.
    K.9 The student will investigate and understand that change occurs over time and rates may be fast or
    slow. Key concepts include
    a) natural and human-made things may change over time; and
    b) changes can be noted and measured.
    Resources
    K.10 The student will investigate and understand that materials can be reused, recycled, and conserved.
    Key concepts include
    a) materials and objects can be used over and over again;
    b) everyday materials can be recycled; and
    c) water and energy conservation at home and in school helps preserve resources for future use.

6. BB Bobcat

BB Bobcat Active Member

I'm jealous of you guys with full-day kindergarten. We only have half-day in most districts in California. It stinks if your kid has been going to preschool for 5 or 6 hours a day, and then they get to Kindergarten and it's only 3.5 hours, especially if you have another older kid going to the same school for the whole day. A lot of pick-ups.

7. My first day of (SJ) Kindergarten memories involved some kid running around yelling "Scoreboard!"

And another kid, who was always starting shit, but complaing about being the victim. I remember the kid was "being harassed" by this girl when while we were playing duck, duck, goose and he went and told the teacher. They "took care of it" right away.

Then there was the kid who would tell anyone that would listen that Mets GM Steve Philips had intentionally held his kid in school so the kid could play against inferior competition in little league.
    I told him he was full of raspberries.

Don't get me started ....

8. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

First day of kindergarten, I remember wearing a green and white striped shirt with matching green pants. Also, I remember thinking my snoopy lunchbox and Charlie Brown thermos was the coolest thing ever.

First day of first grade was memorable because my best friend wet his pants at school, so he had to go to the principal's office, and they actually had a spare pair of pants for him. On the bus ride home, he convinced a girl from the neighborhood to carry the big with his wet pants, because the bag was too heavy for him.

The guy is still a close friend, and later in life he introduced me to the women who is now my wife. We still bust on him for wetting himself.

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I'd bust on the girl who was dumb enough to actually carry it.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I had a metal lunchbox that had all of the NFL helmets on it circa 1977 or so. I think it had a black background with yellow trim (go figure).

It's pretty much my Rosebud.

11. Seahawk

Seahawk Member

She was the sweetest, quietest girl in the neighborhood. Not sure she knew what was in the bag.

12. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

My first two kindergartens were half-day. Didn't realize they still had them.

Draft saved Draft deleted