1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of Kindergarten

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by outofplace, Sep 4, 2008.

1. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

My little has always done the same thing to us with preschool. We would always ask questions about what she did that day and rarely got much in the way of answers. I've heard from teachers and other parents that this is pretty common, even at such a young age.

And here I figured I had a few years before my little one started keeping me out of parts of her life.

2. jps

jps Active Member

got quite a bit out of little jps on her first day ... not so much today. the biggest thing on the 'what happened at school today?' list after her first day? "the little boy dropped his chocolate milk all over the floor."

3. The best/only story I got was on Day 2.

"Daddy, there's a new Spanish girl in our class. She doesn't speak English. I said 'Hola' and tried to ask her what country she was from but she didn't understand what I was saying."

That made me laugh.

Made me laugh even harder the next day when I found out from the teacher that the new girl is actually German.

4. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

That's a good one!

5. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

I don't remember anything about kindergarten but apparently I was an evil witch to my brother on his first day. I'm older by a year, and I have no idea where our parents were on the first day of school. Dad worked long hours and mom had four kids in five years, plus we lived in rural Arizona during a time when kids could spend all day riding their bikes through the canals without worrying they'd be kidnapped, so maybe it wasn't that odd that we did things on our own.
    Anyway, it was my job, as big sister, to lead my brother to the kindergarten classroom I attended a few months earlier. Instead I left him at the front of the school, told him to go left when the room was the other way, and he was found much later wandering around aimlessly. The way he tells it now, thirty something years later, he was dehydrated and being chased by giant scorpions. I can't really blame him for torturing me the next couple of decades.

6. Don't be so hard on mom Mike. ...
    I'm the same way. I wrroy too much that people will think I have my kids. I overcompensate at times and they get the short stick.

7. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I had a similar thing happen to me in kindergarten as well (another bus problem). One day, even though we had half-day kindergarten, school closed early (I think it was the weather). We were told by the principal to either follow the teacher or wait for our older brothers and sisters to come take us to our bus. Problem is, I got confused with the follow the teacher part, since that usually applied to the walkers, and I am an only child. For a few minutes (seemed like a long time to this 5-year-old), I was in an empty classroom. Finally, an older kid from my neighborhood came and got me.

As we were walking down the hall, I thanked him for coming to get me. He told me to shut up.

8. canucklehead

canucklehead Active Member

My five year old starts Kindergarten on Tuesday. We went to meet her teacher yesterday and it was the first time I've ever seen her intimidated by something.
    She's mad that she only gets to go a half-day instead of full day.
    It's a joy to watch her experience what so far is the biggest moment of her life.
    We're taking the video camera for sure on Tuesday. We've got the technology to capture these big events for eternity, so you've got to us it.
    I wish I could watch myself enter a school for the first time.

9. luckyducky

luckyducky Guest

Damn you people. It's cute little stories like these that make we want to have kids.

Assholes.

;D

10. This is the first time I've ever heard of a half-day in kindergarten.

I still remember the day my mom dropped me off. She didn't take me to my classroom or anything. Just let me off and I found my way. I was pretty excited to start school, only to get bored by it a few years later. I just remember seeing a bunch of other kids crying and wondering what their problem was.

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Hey, it's stories like them that get me my own pan of stuffing. I'll be telling these at her funeral, just hoping they pay off then, too.

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Thanks to my wonderful schedule, I only got a brief report from the little one before she had to go to bed. That consisted of her telling us that a girl threw sand at her and a boy threw dirt at her. My wife told her she shouldn't play with those two again. Her response: "Oh, don't worry. I won't."

(This stuff is much cuter when you hear it in her voice and see the very dramatic gestures rather than just reading my typing.)

She also doesn't understand why mommy and daddy won't both be taking her to the bus stop together every single day (whoops).

Draft saved Draft deleted