1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First day of fall prep practice

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by OrangeGrad, Aug 6, 2007.

1. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

We're doing a little photo package, since practice gets under way today. What are some other creative ideas to avoid the stories with coach saying he's excited to get started, blah, blah, blah?

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

What do the players do in between the first and second practice. Back in my day you had enough time to go home, eat and just start getting sore before going back and putting on the same sweat-soaked gear you happily shed just a couple of hours before.

3. TyWebb

TyWebb Well-Known Member

I like Dan's idea.

Our paper did a roundup of all the schools in the area, hitting when, how long, what they did, etc. It ended up pretty boring.

I saw one paper go around and talk to the kids about how hot it was. They got some really good quotes that way.

4. ZummoSports

ZummoSports Member

If you're a freshman, you quickly eat lunch and avoid the locker room at all costs to avoid a wedgie from the big bad senior.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

The Lubbock paper had a story about two-a-days starting in Texas today and they used a photo from Idaho. I found that amusing, partly because I moved to Texas from Idaho.

We started our drive all over Texas today to talk to jillions of kids and coaches. From what I could tell, no one left in between workouts. The coaches would just give them time to hang out in the lockerroom and drink some water and then it was back out on the field.

6. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Ahhhh nothing like double sessions in the 90 degree weather. Especially for the fat linemen like me. Good times!

7. Willie-Butch

Willie-Butch Member

Dan's idea is very interesting. Wish I would have thought of it. Maybe next year.

8. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

This year, everyone gets an extra 2 weeks of 2-a-days in Texas because the state legislature moved the start of school to Aug. 27. Before that, some schools like Keller and Allen would have started on Monday.

9. finishthehat

finishthehat Active Member

My kid's enduring this in the Texas heat right now, and while they give them time to go across the street and get a Subway sandwich or something, his reply when I asked him was "Dad, who wants to eat a big sandwich and then go back out for another practice?"

10. aztarheel

aztarheel New Member

Two-a-days? Not in my neck of the woods in NC ... Teams practice for a couple of hours either in the mornings or evening, and that's it ... One team did a midnight madness session at exactly the first minute it was OK to put on the pads and start hitting. More than 200 people showed up to watch...

11. John

John Well-Known Member

More teams should do that, if for no other reason that the temperature is almost tolerable then.

12. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

Agreed, but now, 10 years removed from playing, I'd give anything to be in the shape I was in when I did those double sessions. The momentary hell really did wonders for my health in those days.

Draft saved Draft deleted