1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First column -- Any suggestions?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by WooPig2K8, Jan 28, 2008.

1. WooPig2K8

WooPig2K8 New Member

I recently received my first gig as a full-time sports writer for a 20,000+ circulation paper.. Since the community is fairly small, and I'll be closely associated with it, I'd like to introduce myself in a column without getting too personal. I already have a few ideas, but I wanted to get some suggestions.

Thanks!

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

Why don't you want to get personal? If you are introducing yourself, specific examples are better than general ones.

I played sports in high school -- doesn't say much.

On our 10-man high school cross country team I finished ninth once when our 10th guy was sick -- says a lot more.

3. WooPig2K8

WooPig2K8 New Member

Thanks!

4. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks to me like the point of your column is the last five paragraphs, so you should find a way to get your point across at the beginning of the article rather than the end.

5. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I agree. If you are introducing yourself to the community, I'd do that instead of preaching to them.

6. WooPig2K8

WooPig2K8 New Member

Alright, will do.

Thanks, I appreciate it.

7. awriter

awriter Active Member

Honestly, that bored me. I'm not a big fan of introduction columns, but if you're going to do one, this is not the way to go. OK, so you were a utility player in high school. But what are you bringing to this job? Where are you from? How did you wind up here? Why are you in this profession?
    You say your goal "is to bring the game I love so much to you, the reader, in a way that has never been done before." How so? And do you only love basketball? I ask because you use "game" and not "games."

8. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

Make sure you end it with, "Go (INSERT LOCAL TEAM NAME HERE)!"

9. BertoltBrecht

BertoltBrecht Member

You joke, but I know of at least two writers at small-ass papers who have done columns with this as the theme.

On topic, was there a link earlier?

If you're going to do an introductory column, I would take a few shots at myself if I were you. It's endearing. Columns are like dicks, 99 percent of us aren't endowed with the god-given ability to write them, so we have to accept our fate, get by with the occasional giggle and improve what we have by maybe trimming our pubic hairs to keep people interested.

10. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

Write about visiting an old professor on Tuesdays.

11. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I'd stay away from an introductory column about yourself and perhaps focus on the community itself. Honestly, nobody cares about the writer, where he or she is from, or their background. If you can't show that you belong and that you've got game through the writing of the column, you'll lose people early. Your best bet is to open with a column that people will talk about and say "who the hell does WooPig2K8 think he is?" After a few weeks, if people are curious, then, maybe, give up a little personal stuff. But honestly, the best sportswriters I know of don't have to do an introductory column. They open strong with a fresh take on a well-known local fixture that makes people sit up and take notice.

12. dawgpounddiehard

dawgpounddiehard Active Member

Draft saved Draft deleted