1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

First college football firing of the year?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by friend of a friend, Sep 24, 2007.

1. Indiana State says goodbye to Lou West after starting 0-4.

1-25 in three years.

The Haute weeps.

2. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

An escape hatch for Weis??

:eek: :eek:

3. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

First Royce Waltman, now Lou West. Indiana State have been so bad in football, has there been anytime in it's history they have had a winning season and made the I-AA playoffs?

4. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The late 80s they had a coupla winning seasons. Might have even made the playoffs as the Gateway champ.

But generally, the Sycamores are full of fail.

5. Saw a playoff game there in 1984 when ISU was ranked No. 1, I think. Game went to overtime. Both teams score TDs, then-coach Dennis Raetz called a trick play on the PAT, trying to get the win. Needless to say, the play was stuffed and ISU lost by 1 point. Players were furious after the game. If you want to go for the win, line up and go for the win. Program went to hell after that. Raetz hung on, going 5-6 or 4-7 for about 10 straight years before retiring in 1997.

In a humorous twist, well humorous in a non-funny kind of way, Raetz has been named interim coach.

Holy crap.

6. D-3 Fan

Sportschick, I found the Gateway Conference vitals. Since ISU joined the Gateway for football in 1986, they have finished in second in 1988 (4-3, 5-6 overall), in 1995, they finished third (3-3, 7-4 overall), and in '96 finished 4th (3-2, 6-5). Those three seasons are the only seasons in which they finished over .500 in conference. It doesn't get any better when the Bison and the Jackrabbits join the league next year.

http://www.mvc.org/football/standings.pdf?SPSID=39013&SPID=2899&DB_OEM_ID=7600

7. sportschick

So it was the mid 90s, dammit.

They are still full of fail.

8. D-3 Fan

No, sweetheart, I don't doubt that the Sycamores were decent in the early 80's pre-Gateway, just posting up the stats since they joined the UNI Conference ( ;D sorry, I had to be a hometown fanboy smart-ass here).

Raetz was there when they had those two runs in '95 and '96. In fact, it was good to see The Haute shows some pulse. ;)

9. sportschick

It's a basketball school, dammit. Oh wait, um, it's a baseball school. Oh, um, well, it's a track school, yea, that's it . . .

And wait till the Bison joins up. UNI will then be full of fail :D

10. The Salukis won't know what hit 'em Saturday.

11. sportschick

If this

[​IMG]

was your mascot, you'd be full of fail too.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Something from the Haute sucks? Color me surprised.

Draft saved Draft deleted