1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Firejoemorgan.com de-pants Scoop Jackson

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by poindexter, Sep 4, 2007.

1. IU90

IU90 Member

Then I take it you don't normally read Scoop. No need to try to imagine, they're are plenty of examples available in his archives, yes it gets a lot worse than this.

2. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

Knowing parody of unwitting self-parody. Meta. Where's Calvino when you need him?

3. What?
    It is somehow axiomatic that college football is "better" than tennis?
    Why?
    Half the sports fans in the world probably disagree.
    Something is "better" than something else, and the reasons why, is the bread and butter of a lot of sports columns, and the reasons all come down to, essentially, either "because I like it more" or "because it's more popular." Reverse the column and nobody's arguing.
    This is pure opinion on a matter of taste. Nothing more. Nothing less.
    Except it's by Scoop Jackson.

4. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The premise (tennis>college football) I could not care less about. Its the writing.

Despite what everyone else may tell you, here are 25 reasons why tennis is better than college football:

Despite what everyone else may tell me? What? People are arguing this? The reading public is being inundated with people jamming opinions down their throat about tennis vs. college football? That's asinine. Nobody is arguing this point, but his second paragraph starts "Despite what everyone else may tell you..." People aren't debating it, they aren't talking about it, they aren't even thinking it.

A JDV or RokSki debate wouldn't even include something so silly. It'd be a poor opening for a seventh grade book report.

Because Dick Enberg, John McEnroe and Mary Carillo are better than anyone except the GameDay crew.

Incredible logic. Sport A is better than Sport B because sport A has better announcers than sport B, except for one set of announcers from Sport B, which are better than Sport A.

I am sure there were tons more ridiculous examples, but I refuse to ever click on Scoop links.

So Fenian, this is "a very basic, very typical sports column."? That is sad.

5. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

Using Scoop's logic, then cycling is better than the NBA thanks to Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen being better broadcasters than any NBA crew.

6. I am avid reader of FJM, although I live in fear that one day they will stumble across my copy.

There's certainly enough bad sports writing and sports commentary to keep them busy for a while.

Let's give credit where it is due. There are a lot a very smart, well-written blogs out there. FJM is one of them.

7. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

Not quite. It would be that cycling is better than the NBA thanks to Phil Liggett and Paul Sherwen being better broadcasters than any NBA crew, except for Barkley, Kenny Smith and Ernie Johnson on TNT.

8. Sorry, poin.
    That's about the column and the opinion therein, not about the style.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Very nice evisceration. But it is low-hanging fruit, so not a guide to whether FJM is truly quality snark or not.

Draft saved Draft deleted