1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired LA Times Editor Jim O'Shea is right on the money!!!

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by RedSmithClone, Jan 27, 2008.

1. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Not sure if anyone else caught this on "Reliable Sources" this morning on CNN.

YES, I watch CNN.

Anyways, fired LA Times Editor Jim O'Shea talked about why he was cut loose and why he believes the budget-cutting mentality in the industry is only going to hurt journalism on the whole.

The man is spot on!

http://www.cnn.com/video/#/video/bestoftv/2008/01/27/kurtz.former.los.angeles.times.editor.int.cnn?iref=videosearch

2. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

Any comments from the peanut gallery?

3. awriter

awriter Active Member

I agree. Our industry is slitting its own wrists.

4. zebracoy

zebracoy Guest

Not being a peanut, I couldn't say.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

From the peanut gallery: That's a lot of exclamation points.

6. He's kinda preaching to the choir here.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

What resonated with me was O'Shea's comments about how, in each person's life and career, you reach a point where you say, "Enough!"

As long as each of us reaches that point individually, the suits never have to worry. They can pick off each of us one by one and count it as salary saved.

If enough of us could reach that point collectively, where the next round of buyouts/layoffs is instead met with a mass walkout, what would the suits do then?

Newsrooms, as a whole, ought to be shouting "Enough!" back at the publishers & owners. If the next 50, 100 or 150 people in the LA Times newsroom joined O'Shea, in unison, in that "Enough!", maybe David Hiller would have blinked.

8. Montezuma's Revenge

Montezuma's Revenge Active Member

Nah. Wouldn't make a difference. They'd just be happy about all the payroll they trimmed.

9. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

And, of course, we can't get three people in a given newsroom to agree on what take-out food to order. So expecting a team effort that affects our livelihoods, while somebody thinks it might create an opening and opportunity for him, never will happen.

So we deserve what we get, I guess.

Draft saved Draft deleted