1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fired Joe Morgan

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by TigerVols, Nov 8, 2010.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

So besides dooley, there's jock-sniffer wilbon and Kornheiser who like Morgan. Oy vey.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-srv/liveonline/sports/tkwilbon/tkwilbon101599.htm

Tony Kornheiser and Michael Wilbon: I like Joe Morgan whether he's with Costas or Jon Miller. I think the Fox thing with replays is generational. It's the same with football. You need a fly's eye to watch. At my age, I'm too old for all this action on the screen. – Tony

Let me just say that Joe Morgan is God. He's the Madden of baseball. But baseball telecasts are so overproduced, it makes me want to throw up. – Mike

2. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

An 11-year-old transcript?

3. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Wilbon's stock just went down eight points, in after-hours trading.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

considering he was trading at 5, everytime you read, hear or see Wilbon, he now owes you $3.00.

BTW Rob Dibble is available for Sunday Night Baseball. Baseball needs a sideline reporter who can stalk hotties in the stands.

5. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

I didn't say I liked Morgan, but the sense of celebration is off-putting, and it's not strictly about how he did, but what he believed.

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

I like Miller a lot but it's great to see a good Canuckistani guy like Shulman get to sit at the big kid's table. I go back with him to his days on the FAN 590 in Toronto and he was just superb with Buck Martinez on Jays' telecasts back in the day.

Never liked Morgan for all the reasons mentioned here but I am a big Hershiser fan.

7. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

When someone as smug and arrogant as Morgan gets canned, there's going to be a degree of visible satisfaction to the news, and I would say that it's pretty much warranted.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

This is the baseball version of Billy Packer getting nudged/shoved/forcibly lifted from CBS college hoops.

9. Ilmago

Ilmago Guest

This is some of the best news that I've heard in sometime. I actually stopped watching Sunday Night Baseball because of Joe Morgan. He continually talked about how great of a player he was and how he made things happen in the sport of baseball. Did you know, according to Joe Morgan, he is the reason that Bud Selig did something about steroids and other PED's in baseball??? True story. You can ask Joe Morgan and he will set you straight. I do like Jon Miller. He will be missed. Shulman and Hershiser are a good pair and should be enjoyable to listen to.

10. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Though he has his pets, especially in the NBA, still like Wilbon. He's not an asshole, which counts
    for plenty. But there's no good reason to defend the undefensible, as is the case, here.

11. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

I mean Morgan's pretty much always sucked, but you do realize that you're commenting on something from 1999?

12. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

How can someone "stop watching" because of Morgan?

Stopped listening, I can understand.

Hit the mute button, and watch. Been doing it for a couple of years for most sporting events. You'll still be more informed than anyone sitting in the stands, and the lack of constant chatter allows you to read or just not go crazy hearing the same cliches over and over.

Draft saved Draft deleted