1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fire at Notre Dame Cathedral in Paris

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by HanSenSE, Apr 15, 2019.

1. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

I get the sentiment, too, but I don't think you can, or should, compare those black churches to Notre Dame Cathedral.

Indeed, there are not many churches at all that you can compare to Notre Dame Cathedral, in hardly any way besides that they are churches. To try to do so just...doesn't work, on any level. It smacks of just throwing something out there for...the usual reason of supposed political correctness. Really, one has nothing to do with the others.

Would $218,000 rebuild those black churches? I don't know but would guess that it goes a long way towards that end. It's a good bet that $337 million will not cover the rebuilding and restoration of Notre Dame Cathedral.

2. misterbc

misterbc Well-Known Member

Experienced it in 1976 during a 3 month long VW Wagon trip through France, Germany mainly, and Holland. The first famous building I’d been to. Spent an hour inside and an hour in the forecourt just looking at it. Made a huge impression the first time. Still marvelled at it during later visits but nothing like the first time.

3. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I just saw that a crowdfunding campaign - started after people saw how much has been donated to rebuild Notre Dame - has raised $500K toward helping those churches rebuild.

Neutral Corner likes this.
  4. Twirling Time

Twirling Time Well-Known Member

This is wild. Turns out the best blueprint that can be used to reconstruct Notre Dame may be held by ... a video game.

5. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

And how is that when you can't build a house for that amount?

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

7. Monday Morning Sportswriter

Monday Morning Sportswriter Well-Known Member

They began building St. John The Divine in New York in 1892. It is still unfinished.

8. WriteThinking

WriteThinking Well-Known Member

Well, you probably could build a house for that in some places. Regardless, I do think those funds would go a long way toward repairing and/or rebuilding the black churches.

I also don't think everything should be turned into a discussion about race.

9. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

It’s not. It’s about priority.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

11. CD Boogie

CD Boogie Well-Known Member

"The employee of security company reportedly received death threats in the wake of the fire."

Over a building fire in which no one died. Priorities, people; get 'em straight.

I was definitely saddened over the event, having just visited the church for the first time in September. But I got over it in about five minutes. I understand the place means an awful lot to Parisians, but threatening someone's life over its demise is beyond the pale. I mean, the irony of wishing death upon someone for the ruin of a church is too rich by half.

OscarMadison likes this.
  12. tapintoamerica

tapintoamerica Well-Known Member

How? They didn't run out of money, did they? The Vatican has an unlimited supply of cash, doesn't it?

Draft saved Draft deleted