1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fios to The Weather Channel, "Wake up with Al? Wake up with THIS."

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by BitterYoungMatador2, Mar 10, 2015.

1. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

2. ThomsonONE

ThomsonONE Member

As a FIOS subscriber I don't mind at all. The Weather Channel lost its focus long ago. It had value when it was 24 hour weather forecasts, but now it is shows about prospectors and truckers, and other things not related to weather which I don't need. The original mission was valuable, but even that has been replaced by websites which do it better. Time moves on, maybe the Weather Channel's time of usefulness is coming to an end, just like sportsphone's did.

3. BitterYoungMatador2

BitterYoungMatador2 Well-Known Member

Their whole masturbation over storms - especially the winter storms that we now name - is friggin' ridiculous. Cantore looks like an asshole, fist-pumping over thunder. Not to mention they've been replacing older, more experienced meteorologists with young, leggy twits and it doesn't take much to see why. Also, their two biggest weather personalities are NOT meteorologists: Sam Champion and Al Roker.

4. Vombatus

Vombatus Well-Known Member

Yep, they lost me when they started naming storms other than hurricanes. Fluff.

5. MisterCreosote

MisterCreosote Well-Known Member

Do people still turn on the teevee for a weather report in 2015?

Get the AccuWeather app on your phone. It's free, takes a few seconds, and goes into a ridiculous amount of detail about the day's forecast.

6. JackReacher

JackReacher Well-Known Member

I think I turn on The Weather Channel maybe twice a year. I do use the app, though. During winter storms, I'll typically just watch the local news for updates.

7. PCLoadLetter

PCLoadLetter Well-Known Member

The answer is absolutely yes. People turn on the TV for weather. It's the biggest driver for local TV news.

I work in an area that has no weather "news" nine months out of the year and people still fixate on it.

8. Machine Head

Machine Head Well-Known Member

Truth.

Draft saved Draft deleted