1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finishing up the Oscars

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Twoback, Jan 27, 2008.

1. Twoback

Twoback Active Member

As of today, for the 23rd consecutive year, I've seen all five nominated films prior to Oscar night.
    This time, in what was a remarkably strong year for movies, I thought the nominating process flubbed it pretty good. Ben Affleck's "Gone Baby Gone" was better, much better, than any film nominated save for "Juno." But I guess if you're going to make fun of Ben for most of this decade, you can't then turn around and proclaim him to be brilliant. Too bad. "American Gangster", which I considered to be flawed, was better than Nos. 4 and 5.
    I'd rank the nominated films in this order:

1. Juno
    2. Michael Clayton
    3. No Country For Old Men (a better-made film than No. 2, but too nihilistic for it to be truly great).
    4. Atonement
    5. There Will Be Blood.

I know there is much love on this board for P.T. Anderson, but Blood was sloppily edited, overlong and -- indeed -- boring at many points in the movie. Daniel Day Lewis was as excellent as he's been since "My Left Foot," but that's not enough to make it a great movie.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Michael Clayton was slick boilerplate.

Draft saved Draft deleted