1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Findlay, Ohio, not happy with Eli Saslow

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Jul 1, 2008.

1. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Each has their own strengths. Both are exceptional. There is really no debating this. Pray we have more people like them join the business, not less.

2. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Good point, as usual.

3. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

With all the assholes in Washington D.C., why did Saslow have to fly all the way to Findlay to go looking for some?

4. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

Agreed - the writer could have found a place in the WaPo's circulation area. But I thought Saslow did a good job of nailing down real people and a real town to synthesize the Obama rumors story.
    So it came at Findlay's expense, so what. Journalists are always looking for quotes and facts that support their nut graph, not to disprove it.

5. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Nut graph or not, why not do this in your own coverage area? Why fly to Ohio and play off stereotypes of Midwesterners? There's plenty of small town areas in Virginia. I think it's pretty chickenshit to me and it looks like the Post didn't want to deal with potential heat.

6. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

He could have gone to Waldorf, Prince Frederick, Lexington Park, Boonesboro or Hagerstown in Maryland, or Colonial Beach, Blacksburg, Wytheville or Petersburg, Va. and found the same attitudes.

But I think one thing is clear: Obama's people have to figure out some way to dispell the rumors. Funny how it's the Post which somehow keeps them going.

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Maybe because they consider themselves to be more than just a regional paper.

8. Two reasons:

1. Ohio is a swing state
    2. Findlay calls itself "Flag City, U.S.A."

9. Appgrad05

Appgrad05 Active Member

You're right, the Washington Post is scared. Whatever.

10. JakeandElwood

JakeandElwood Well-Known Member

I just figured it was because Ohio was the decisive state in the last presidential election.

11. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

Sometimes I read this board, and I wonder if people are in the same profession as I am.

Seriously.

12. Flying Headbutt

Flying Headbutt Moderator Staff Member

Everyone knows Maryland is going to Obama this year. Virginia is at least up for grabs. Ohio was the decider in 2004, and will be very important this year. I can see why there might be such an interest in the attitudes there.

Draft saved Draft deleted