1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding Joe Murphy

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Evil ... Thy name is Orville Redenbacher!!, Aug 9, 2019.

1. Read this a few moths ago, from the Detroit Free Press. GREAT, well-reported story.

It's been updated. Murphy is homeless again and refusing help. No surprise. But still sad.

Read this on your lunch break or when you get home this evening..

Joe Murphy, Red Wings' No. 1 pick, is homeless again and refusing help

2. cyclingwriter2

cyclingwriter2 Well-Known Member

Will read. The article from a few months ago was unflinchingly sad.

3. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

This is a really tough one. People have tried to intervene

4. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Mental illness is just so haunting. Just hope the next "finding Joe Murphy" story isn't his obituary.

5. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

6. Starman

At one point in my sportswriting career, I told my editors, "no more 'turning my life around, straightened my act out, got my priorities straight, found Jeezus,' etc etc, stories."

Too many blew up in my face.

7. ChrisLong

ChrisLong Well-Known Member

Uh, Todd Marinovich anyone? The last time they nabbed him, he was a couple of blocks from my house. He was nude in someone's back yard, with a paraphernalia kit.

8. Starman

Yep. He and Doc Gooden are probably the captains of the "all-time failed "straightening out my life" all-star team."

I mean, I hope they can do it. But I've seen it blow up too many times.

9. OscarMadison

OscarMadison Well-Known Member

Damn. This is sad. Hockey writers might remember that summer ('11? 12?) when it seemed like every other week we had to file obituaries for people young enough to be our kids/grandkids. It was the worst part of the job.

10. OscarMadison

Clinicians can get tunnel vision. They see the DSM workup, the axis and the pathologies, and forget hte person they're attached to. I'm not saying he needs to be locked up, but they need to work with him to get him to a safe place. He might be more compliant to treatment. Then again, maybe not. Sometimes nothing works.

It's going to be interesting to see how much of a link researchers can make between a nasty cocktail of mental illnesses and CTE. The athletes helping with concussion research are heroes.

11. OscarMadison

Sorry for the cereal posts this morning. Craving Captain Crunch... Anyway, does anyone know if GALs do anything but juvenile cases in Canada? He needs a good one.

12. Sea Bass

Sea Bass Well-Known Member

What’s a GAL?

Draft saved Draft deleted