1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finding a coach's salary

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by cyclingwriter, Jan 7, 2009.

1. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Sorry if this is a newb question, but does anyone have any tips on how I can find out a coach's salary at a small DI school? School is saying it isn't public info since they are a private school. I think it is public because they are part of the NCAA? Anyone have any advice short of me filing an FOIA?

2. It's not necessarily public. Their Form 990, though, for being a non-profit, has to list the top 5 highest-paid employees at the university. In fact, I think they have to list the five highest paid executive and non-executive employees. Or, it might be 5 on the board and 5 not on the board.

Someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

3. Ask the other coaches in the conference. They'll know.

4. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

Not public info, but search for filings. If there are public schools in the conference, search for those and you'll get a good estimate.

5. cyclingwriter

cyclingwriter Active Member

Thanks to all. I forgot about 990s...best way to check is through guidestar?

6. Probably. But unless you purchase the service the 990s are at least a year behind.

7. It's public if it recieves state funding.
    You might try and FOIA.

Being a member of the NCAA does not make an institution a public school.

8. Orville, just because an institution receives state funding does not make it public. There can be strings attached, but Pell Grants and federal research funding do not require an open accounting of all books.

9. Let me clarify: Funding for salaries, improvements and general operating expenses, etc., etc. does.

11. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Based on my experience, you'll have a hard time finding a "public money" inroad into getting the salary of an employee of a private institution. And obviously, just because they're private doesn't mean they're non profit.

Doesn't mean you shouldn't explore the possibilities, but I doubt FOI is going to get it done.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

FOIA gets you a copy of a coaches' contract at any school that gets public funding. Don't let anyone at the SID department tell you differently. Ditto if the public school has contracted out the running of the athletic department to a private association, such as Florida. They still have to give it to you, in a timely manner.

If it's Duke or Georgetown or Miami, they can tell you to get lost.

Draft saved Draft deleted