1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fincher's "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo"

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by qtlaw, Dec 21, 2011.

1. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

Even though I enjoyed the Swedish trilogy, I am looking forward to seeing the Hollywood version which appears to be getting great reviews.

2. Loved the books. And plan to see this in the theatre.

3. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Looks really good. I liked the first Swedish film enough; thought the second two were trash -- bad actors, bad dialogue, hard to follow, much of the story excised.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Did they change the ending on the Hollywood movie from the book?

5. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I liked the first and third movies.
    I liked the books. Good pulp reading.

I'm hesitant about the American version.

6. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

See the Swedish version, first.

7. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

The dirty little secret is the final two were made for TV with a budget that was a fraction of the feature film. Different director too.

8. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

Yea, I think I knew that, at least about made for TV. When the bad guy makes his appearance at the end of Part 2 it is laughable, like a James Bond parody.

9. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I have found it odd that several reviews, at major sites, have had writers who prefaced their reviews by saying they did not like the book(s).

10. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I can't stand when the book about a movie is even mentioned in a movie review. I rarely go to a movie if I've read the book or vice versa. I view that as a good way to guarantee you will resent a movie. (The greatest exception to me was A Clockwork Orange.) But I know most of the world doesn't think like I do.

I definitely don't oppose someone who didn't like the book reviewing the movie, though. I appreciate the transparency, if anything.

11. really?
    I have been tempted several times but I worry it will taint my view of the US version.

I loved the books - except for the fact the Blomkvist banged every female mentioned in the stories.

12. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

That's been my theory. I was going to Netflix the original, but when I heard Fincher and Craig were doing a Hollywood version, I decided it was best to just wait and try to enjoy it on its own merits.

I occasionally do that with books as well. I know if I read the book ahead of time, I won't enjoy the movie as much. Being a film buff, I'd rather enjoy the cinematic experience sometimes.

I remember when I finished reading "The DaVinci Code" the first thing I thought to myself was, "Damn, I just ruined the movie for myself."

Draft saved Draft deleted