1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY Lefty gets 'er done, head-to-head, against Tiger Woods

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by RokSki, Sep 3, 2007.

1. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

Junkie, you've really got me curious now. I watched Jack play in the U.S., Japan and New Zealand over a period of years and on a variety of course types, and I never saw him take what I would consider a high risk shot. (Given his abilities.) So I'd really like a couple of examples of what you have in mind.

If it's just a general belief you have, that's fine. As I mentioned, I certainly missed the majority of his tournaments, so I'm unable to disagree with you in an authoritative way. Herbert Warren Wind, I ain't.

2. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

Junkie, ask Tiger if he went balls out at the 15th hole at Augusta this April.

3. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Usually, Jack and Tiger take few risk and win tournaments by taking a three-shot lead into Sunday, then shoot 71 while everyone else is imploding.

4. Claws for Concern

Claws for Concern Active Member

Mickelson won't play this week it is being reported now (and he's in Chicago today for a sponsor's event). If he was to play, he'd be with Tiger in the first two rounds for sure in their threesome pairings and perhaps in the final round again if both played well. Guess Atlanta will have to be the site of their next showdown.

5. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I'm not much of a Tiger fan, but I'm not sure I'd say he doesn't take risks. One of his most famous shots was a six-iron 220 yards, over water, out of a fairway bunker, to a sucker pin, to win the Canadian Open, which he was only leading by one shot when he hit it.

And to have enough balls to throw his chip 35 feet left of the hole, then let it roll back to the cup on the 16th hole at Augusta in '05 showed creativity, imagination and risk-taking.

I also think the "he can't charge from behind" is a little bit more myth than reality. Yes, he's never won a major charging from behind, but he's won two in a playoff and I think he made five straight birdies on the last five holes to nearly win the PGA the year Rich Beam won it. I think it's probably a matter of time. I'd definitely disagree that he doesn't go balls out to get back in things. I don't think anyone can accuse him of playing for second place.

6. JackyJackBN

JackyJackBN Guest

That Canadian Open shot. From a buried lie, right?

Oops, guess not.

Picking a six iron off firm sand and hitting it your normal distance is not as tough a shot as that downhill wedge that Greg Norman shoved into the sandtrap at the 15th at Augusta that brought him so much grief from all and sundry.

Now--have at me. But if it's in your comfort zone and you know you'll pull it off over 50% of the time, it's not a high risk shot. Once it's over the water and you have a lead, even if it's just one stroke, if you're Tiger you're home free. And he wasn't going to hit that shot in the water one time out of ten, much less five out of ten.

7. RokSki

RokSki New Member

Phil's back up to the #2 slot in the world rankings after his head-to-head defeat of the world's #1-ranked player at the DBC:

http://www.pga.com/news/tours/pga-tour/rank090407.cfm

Draft saved Draft deleted