1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally got to go to Yankee Stadium, but thought I was dying on the way home

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by pressboxramblings07, Aug 5, 2008.

1. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

That's kinda what I was wondering. What was said, what the environment was like, etc. Understand completely if you've already blocked it out or just don't want to think about it.

2. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"Next time I'm in town, I'll take you up on the egg cream -- whatever that is."</i>

Egg creams are like tongue sandwiches and Joe Franklin, indigenous NYC things that outsiders never quite grasp.

Get a Yoo Hoo instead. You'll be happier.

3. I gotcha. There really wasn't a whole lot of freaking out -- just a lot of people wondering what the crap was going on. After we landed, the captain told us the co-pilot basically handled the whole situation.

We were sitting almost in the back and heard something pop as soon as the plane left the ground, and I told my buddy, "That's not good." I knew something was very wrong when the plane was still pointed upward but we weren't getting very far.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

5. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

<i>"After we landed, the captain told us the co-pilot basically handled the whole situation."</i>

"Good thing, too," the pilot said. "Drunk as I am, I don't know what would have happened otherwise."

6. I've flown multiple times before, and never faced anything close to the two nightmares I had going to and from NYC. I don't have to fly again for another five months -- when I go on my honeymoon, and I'm sure as heck not flying AA.

7. dargan

dargan Active Member

Good to know somebody else is as averse to flying as me. People usually just act like I'm crazy.

PBR, I'm with BYH. I'd be walking home after that, too, and never flying again.

8. BYH

BYH Active Member

He never got over Rio Grande.

[​IMG]

9. BYH

BYH Active Member

I'll fly, when I have to. But fortunately (or unfortunately, depending on how you look at it), I don't have to do it a lot. I fondly recall leaving for our honeymoon in 2002 and telling my wife we could be in New Hampshire in several hours and hanging out at a lakeside cottage my parents used to rent for a few days every summer. Of course, several hours later I was in tropical paradise, so I can't say I complained. At all.

But I worry about exactly the things you do. Any minor turbulence gets my heart racing a million miles a minute and gets me sweating and worrying I'm going to go Linda Blair. And yeah, sure, when I'm on the road driving, I'm not REALLY in control of the jackasses around me. But I can at least SEE them and feel like I have some control over things. For all I know, a drunk chimp could be piloting that plane. I'll never know.

And it's even worse these days with the airlines outright fucking everyone at every possible turn. At least when I'm crawling along on the road, I can have an idea of why it's taking so long and how long it'll take me to clear the snafu. Not so easy at an airport.

The last flight I took was the first one with my iPod. Talk about a blessing. Just closed my eyes as hard as I could and put on some comfort music.

Draft saved Draft deleted