1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, DirecTV's HD expansion is on

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by da_grand_pubah, Sep 26, 2007.

1. For all my HDTV lovers out there who have DirectTV, just woke up to see the much-hyped roll out of the chanels has begun. Among them is the NFL Network HD.

And just in time for the playoffs ... TBSHD is up and running. ;D

A list of the 21 channels added today with more to come next month:

265: A & E HD
    282: Animal Planet HD
    220: Big Ten HD
    202: CNN HD
    278: Discovery HD
    206 / 73: ESPN HD
    209 / 72: ESPN2 HD
    70/501/509: HBO HD East
    269: History Channel HD
    76: HD Theater (was Discovery HD Theater)
    79: HDNet
    78: HDNet Movies
    280: Learning Channel HD (TLC HD)
    244: Movie Channel HD
    212: NFL Network HD
    284: Science Channel HD
    538: SHO Too HD
    71/537/543: Showtime HD
    540: Showtime HD West
    267: Smithsonian HD
    519: Starz Comedy HD
    520: Starz HD East
    521: Starz HD West
    522: Starz Edge HD
    518: Starz Kids and Family
    247: TBS HD
    245 / 75: TNT HD
    74: Universal HD
    604: Versus HD / Golf Channel HD
    362: Weather Channel HD

2. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

Sweet, sweet, sweet! I'm moving out of my apartment next week & can finally get DirecTV again. The installer will be there next Friday between 8 AM & noon. (suuuuure they will)

3. BTExpress

BTExpress Well-Known Member

Curious observation:

It doesn't appear as though many of these stations are being broadcast in true HD. CNN, TBS, etc.

There is no "HD" indicator on the program guide, and the picture is still shown in 4:3 aspect ratio (as opposed to the 16:9 on HBOHD, etc.).

4. That is because those two stations, of course, are owned by Time Warner and Time Warner is a bit behind the HD curve. As anyone who has TNTHD knows, they stretch the picture (commercials included) which I really hate. But whenever there is "true" HD content (ie: NBA, golf) it's broadcast properly.

Check out the Big Ten Network, Smithsonian channel, A&E , etc.

5. StormSurge

StormSurge Active Member

The videophiles over at DBStalk.com are raving over the picture quality. Nice!

6. patchs

patchs Active Member

I have been on that site a lot in the last few days and I've never seen threads go from nothing to 30 pages so fast.
    That's how I found out they were on today.
    I just had my 5 LNB dish installed last weekend and just in time.
    Channels look great, even the HD ones that aren't broadcasting in HD yet, look damn good.
    Smithsonian Channel HD has real potential.
    Remember to get these new HD channels, you need a HD receiver, a 5 LNB dish, a B-band converter (which hooks up to the back of the receiver) and duh a HDTV.

7. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have DirectTV as well, and I am excited to see The Weather Channel in HD. (No kidding!)

Just a quick FYI though, I get my best HD picture using rabbit ears (30 bucks at BestBuy) on my local networks. It's about a five minute setup, and your DVR will still record those shows.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Charter has eight, not counting local.

Yay....

Weather channel in HD would rock

9. TowelWaver

TowelWaver Well-Known Member

I have DirecTV with an old HDTivo now...to receive the new channels I'd have to chuck the Tivo and go with DirecTV's new proprietary HD DVR. Anybody have any experience with this? I'd heard that it may not do basic Tivo stuff (e.g., Season Passes) very well or at all, so am apprehensive about the idea.

10. 93Devil

93Devil Well-Known Member

I have the DVR for Direct TV and I had a Tivo about six years ago.

What you will not be able to do with the DVR...
    1. Do a keyword search (wayne, pittsburgh, etc...)
    I think that is it.

You can season pass, record a boat load of hours, record on the fly and split screen when you are searching.

I think the box costs $300, but I would vote for simplifying your system; especially if you are still paying $15 a month to Tivo.

11. I have an HD DVR and love it. Since I had gotten so used the regular HD receiver, it took me a while to remember that I could rewind, etc. during my HD programming. Now that I have one I can't imagine what I'd so without it. Nothing like being able to record your favorite team or shows in HD.

With these new channels coming on board, I think it's a definite must to have one.

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Bye bye, Comcast...that's it for me...
    I have been debating to switch, when I moved I am now in a Comcast area that was a former Adelphia system, but yet, I am paying the same money for lesser amount of HD.
    I be out of there.

Draft saved Draft deleted