1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, Christians are beginning to see the problems ...

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by dog428, Jul 31, 2006.

1. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Tell you what?
    Reread the article again and tell me if you think that Boyd would have used that adjective in reference to abortion.

You know, based on his mostly thoughtful quotes in the story.  

You've beaten this horse pretty much to death.

2. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

This thread has made me realize that there outta be a law against mixing politics and religion.

3. zimbabwe

zimbabwe Active Member

They could call it the amendment.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Yeah, although it's too bad we couldn't work a Muslim angle into this thread. That would get Hondo et al over in faster than you can say "They want to kill us all".

5. JackS

JackS Member

It could go either way. Ace seems to be the only one willing to admit the writer may have misrepresented Boyd's position. Everyone else seems to want to take the argument off on some other tangent, such has my lack of comprehension.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Well, I'd be inclined to infer from the article as a whole that he didn't say that.

But that's really just a distraction from the larger picture of how evangelists are hijacking the far right wing of the Republican party under the guise of Christianity to promote their anti-choice, homophobic agenda.

And if you read the Salon article, you can add racist to that.

Boyd is a voice of sanity.

7. trounced

trounced Active Member

Condemning and villifying others? No. Making it clear that there is right and wrong? Yes.

John 4:18 -- "There is no judgment awaiting those who trust him. But those wo do not trust him have already been judged for not believing in the only son of God. Their judgment is based on this fact: The light from heaven came into the world, but they loved the darkness more than the light, for their actions were evil. They hate the light because they want to sin in the darkness. They stay away from the light for fear their sins will be exposed and they will be punished. But those who do what is right come to the light gladly, so everyone can see they are doing what God wants."

As for Colson, his Prison Fellowship program has been very successful. I give him a lot of credit for overcoming his mistakes and attempting to do good things for a lot of struggling people.

8. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

What is it Goerge Carlin once said? Churches should be taxed because if they want to have a say in how the country is run, they should pay their admission like everyone else.

9. Pastor

Pastor Active Member

Colson's Prison Fellowship program has only been classified as successful under strict guidelines defined by Colson and his group. Any and all independant groups that have looked into their success rate has found it to be far less successful than advertised. In fact, it was equal to secular prison reform programs.

As to the rest... religion has little to no place in politics. This is not something that can be truly debated as it has already been proven time after time in every possible location that it has been attempted.

10. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

So sorry, trounced. I was under the impression that Christians believe that Jesus Christ was the only perfect and sinless being to walk the earth. Are you saying that all real Christians are without sin of any kind?

11. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

Hmm, I read that three times and nowhere could I find a passage where it says to use faith and belief in God as a political vehicle. It's saying do what's right and be the example, not stump against others because they're evil.

12. trounced

trounced Active Member

No, that's not what I am saying.

Draft saved Draft deleted