1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a good Entourage 6/25

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Seabasket

Seabasket Active Member

Entourage is by nature not supposed to be a deep show.
    It is about getting caught up in the glitz and glamour of Hollywood, surface beauty over depth. In that way, it is perfect. If you're looking for depth, you misread the series. He (and by extension, them) is chasing fame and fortune. It's the triumph of material wealth and success over individual growth.
    The people in their lives are just like the cars and houses they own. They rotate because they're just commodities you can trade up for.

2. nafselon

nafselon Well-Known Member

I never felt like they were chasing fame and fortune, if so then why did Vince insist on doing Queens Blvd for a pittence? It's seems more like none of them want to do "real" work so they took the chance of piggy backing Vince in hopes that he would make it.

3. patchs

patchs Active Member

You get the feeling with Dom, that Entourage has, ahem, err, jumped the shark?
    With the Sopranos' decline, Entourage has become HBO's flagship show.
    The show could have ended with last week's episode.
    Vince is No. 1 now, so let the fall begin.
    Kind of reminds me of Moonlighting after David and Maddie had sex, that was all she wrote.

4. nafselon

Dom is written in for like 2-3 episodes. People control yourselves.

5. nafselon

look, you gotta be able to recognize what's happening with the show. even if dom disappears, you have to see what his introduction symbolizes. the writers seem to be losing steam. it happens. it was a bad sign when the sopranos had junior shoot tony, and i told people then the show was in decline, and by the end of the season most people -- except sepinwall of the star ledger and even he sort of admitted it at the end -- recognized the sopranos had lost it....

dom is a stale, typical tv ploy....i half expect vince to get a pie in the face soon. sight gags. a couple of weeks ago, there was the whole adventure with vince's mother, and they wrapped that up in a nice pretty bow. i love this show but the writers are struggling big time.

6. nafselon

They've always introduced short-lived characters. Ari went through Samaire Armstrong as an assistant before settling on Lloyd. Last year Mandy Moore, Emmanuelle Chirqui (don't think she's coming back either unfortunately) and James Cameron, Eric's girlfriend Kristen, the director from Queens Blvd., Saigon (who is coming back thankfully) were all written in for short periods.

The magic of this shows and why (for the millionth time) you are wasting time comparing it to the Sopranos is because this show doesn't recognize its past. Have you heard the name "Mandy Moore" since her last episode. What about Head On -- the movie that made him into a star? Or Queens Blvd? Or anything other than what the current week's issue is. I'm shocked they are revisiting the flick that he wanted to do at the beginning of last season. The central theme of the show is "here today, gone later today".

Of the 25 shows I would say 16 of them were written to begin and end in 30 minutes. Now the Dom thing might last 2-3 episodes which might require some semblance of patience. But by Episode 8, he won't even exist and they will never again recognize the fact that he was there.

7. Webster

Webster Well-Known Member

The show is the same since the first episode -- look at what a great life we have  There is barely any conflict, and usually it is resolved within a scene or two.  There is some good writing, but the actors who play Eric and Vincent just aren't very good.

There were moments where the show could have taken a darker (and better) turn.  Remember, the episode when the guys met with the gay producer and Vincent kind of flirted with him to get we he wanted?  That started as a decent scene, but they decided to keep the comedy light and fluffy.

Sex and the City convinced single women in their 30s that everything was OK -- that was one of the big reasons why it became such an iconic show.  Entourage has no such universal appeal.

8. spinning27

spinning27 New Member

You're right on Jason. I think the writers are losing steam.

9. Stupid

Stupid Member

That's it, Webster. it's the same show as when it began but yet people like to parrot the standard line that the writing has changed when, of course, it hasn't. But it's easier to say that in a manner of explaining that possibly the viewer has changed rather than present examples that show the difference in writing between now and the first 2 seasons.

10. tyler durden 71351

tyler durden 71351 Active Member

Look, as long as they don't do one of the really worn out cliches, like getting Vince hooked on drugs or introducing a Yoko-like girlfriend who urges him to dump E and Ari, I don't mind. Last night's episode wasn't that great, but they can't all be home runs.

11. NoOneLikesUs

NoOneLikesUs Active Member

New character is poison. Just disrupts everything good about the show.

I happened to think the last episode was one of the funniest of the series. Ari smashing the statue on Lloyd's desk was fuckin' classic.

This Lucky Louie show has potential...but so far it's uneven.

12. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

All together now..
    We Want Sloan!
    We Want Sloan!
    Don't care if she doesn't have any lines, just put her at the dinner table with E while he's on his cell talking to Ari.

Draft saved Draft deleted