1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a good Entourage 6/25

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Almost_Famous, Jun 25, 2006.

1. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

The supporting team was worked in well, and although the new character is annoying, he's such a gumba that he's funny.

And finally, a smidge of nudity.

Where is E's girl? Have we seen her this season yet?

Ari and the little kid ... you know that was coming. Does Ari's daughter have fake ears? They are massive.

2. Stupid

Stupid Member

Entourage 6/25 (spoilers alert)

I thought this was the best episode of the season but waaaaay too short. That Dom cat is bad news which is the introduction of tension for this season. Plus, the kid telling off Ari was classic.

And Vince drinking the juice right after the hooker.

3. "best episode of the season?"

that has to be a joke. this thing is turning into seinfeld or friends. and yes, they were good shows. but they weren't hbo-type shows.

the whole dom angle was poorly written. and i love the actor playing dom. he's from the wire. but this thing was thrown together. nothing subtle about it. this show might be ready to spiral...much like nip/sucks and the sopranos...

4. The Big Ragu

The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

I thought this was a little better than the last episode. But I agree with Whitlock. I started to really think that last episode and even posted how it was starting to feel stale.

If I had really thought about it, I think I might have been able to guess a Dom character written in, sooner rather than later. It's now more than two seasons in and it's supposed to spoof a real life movie star. "Old friends, you'd just as soon forget, coming out of woodwork" is sort of a no brainer.

5. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

Terrible episode
    The Dom angle -- that's usually reserved for Season 5 or 6, like when a sitcom gets stale and a baby is introduced. Everybody knows where this is going.
    Too short -- 23 minutes.
    Not enough Ari -- he's the best thing on the show.

Last week's episode proved that a lot of Ari and no plot = great laughs.

6. Stupid

Stupid Member

Not a joke. sorry you don't get it. do you like anything?

Last week was thrown together and Entourage is hardly ready to spiral. You're free to get off the ride anytime.

7. Columbo

Columbo Active Member

Yeah... I really wish there wasn't a third knucklehead introduced.

But I did think it was the best episode this season.

8. this thing felt like a good episode of threes company. and i loved that show... but it's just not an hbo show. did dom have one redeeming quality? one? at least they could've given more depth to dom's relationship with vince beyond the fact that dom punched a cop while he was trying to hide vince's weed. a show like the wire would've had vince on the phone with dom for 1 minute in season 2 setting up the fact that dom might come into the picture in season 3. but they just sprung dom out of nowhere and he immediately causes problems everywhere and vince is okay with it simply because the dumb@$$ hit a cop. weak.

9. stupid

i've never seen a bad episode of the shield or the wire.

if you put entourage on abc or cbs, i'd think this episode was great. i expect the major networks to use easy tricks like dom to freshen up the show. i just don't expect it on hbo.

are you new to hbo? seriously. these shows are usually far more intelligent than a regular network show.

10. Michael_ Gee

Michael_ Gee Well-Known Member

Jason, I don't get the "it's not an HBO-type show" rap. Entourage is not now and has never been heavy in any way, shape, or form. It is, as you've suggested, a sweet little sitcom. It's on HBO so they can cuss and get more into sex than the networks like. "Sex in the City" was one of the HBO groundbreakers, and it wasn't very heavy, either.
          If you don't think Entourage is funny anymore, OK. But I don't think that relates to what it ought or ought not be TRYING to do. Judge it on its own terms.

11. Stupid

Stupid Member

you don't get it.

Dom's not supposed to have any redeeming qualities, he's supposed to come in and break up the little happy family that had nothing but good things happen to them since the season began. My guess is that Dom is worth a few episodes and isn't going to be a permanent character.

Also, whitlock, you're looking for dramatic angles in a 1/2 hour comedy series. Comparing it to The Wire is nearly pointless in that regard. So far this year has been a fairly seamless transition from the last 2. Some folks may be getting bored with the show and that's understandable but it's pretty much the same thing as it was  in the beginning, except this year will probably deal more with Vinnie's burgeoning fame such as guys like Dom showing up, unannounced and unexpected.

12. Stupid

Stupid Member

funny, dude. I've been watching HBO since Larry Sanders. I've seen The Wire and I'm not impressed. Not realistic (though moreso that Oz but less entertaining) and you can tell it was written from a cop perspective. It's a good show, like most HBO shows, but doesn't compare to the first 2 years of The Sopranos.

And like I said in my last post, pointless to compare comedy & drama shows.

Draft saved Draft deleted