1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Finally, a argument in favor of marijuana

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by YankeeFan, Aug 6, 2016.

1. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Medical marijuana was legalized in California 22 years ago.
    Development of marijuana cultivation, strain improvements, edible products are part of that. It's been going on for 22 years.
    Research on the health effects didn't stop in the 1980s, it has been ongoing during all this time.

There are some logistical hurdles to face. Particularly with regard to DUI enforcement, but the negative outcomes on this low.

2. LongTimeListener

LongTimeListener Well-Known Member

Amazingly enough, the scientists and medical professionals in that link I posted don't agree with you.

But it isn't going to matter anyway. This is how the conversations are going to go as the marijuana advocates are getting a little like vegans in their zeal. The topic isn't something I'm going to die for, only something that amuses me when I walk past the petition booths at the mall and get a chuckle at what a silly life it is to actually fight for your right to toke up.

3. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

But the historical research on marijuana is flawed at best: How Strong Is That Weed, Really?

At worst, it is intentionally misrepresented.

I'm coming across as much more strident than I actually I am.
    I do think it's more than about time that marijuana is legal. I do think the war on drugs has been an abysmal failure, a waste of money and helped create the current cartels.
    We spend $10b a year trying to enforce the ban on pot, and 10s of millions of Americans have been jailed and imprisoned because of the ban on pot.
    It's been pointless and dumb.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  4. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein

An active compound in marijuana called tetrahydrocannabinol (THC) has been found to promote the removal of toxic clumps of amyloid beta protein in the brain, which are thought to kickstart the progression of Alzheimer's disease.

The finding supports the results of previous studies that found evidence of the protective effects of cannabinoids, including THC, on patients with neurodegenerative disease.

Marijuana compound removes toxic Alzheimer's protein from the brain

5. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

I never bought the argument that marijuana was the "gateway" to others; I mean coke, heroin, etc. was/is so much more potent.

If you can drink alcohol, this was going to be worse? Ridiculous. In my experience, no one wanted to drive after partaking.

6. YankeeFan

YankeeFan Well-Known Member

Depends on how many snacks are handy.

If you've go the muchies, someone's making a chip run.

7. LongTimeListener

8. qtlaw

qtlaw Well-Known Member

On foot....

9. LongTimeListener

Is the argument here that people don't drive under the influence of marijuana?

That's ridiculously stupid.

Hokie_pokie and YankeeFan like this.
  10. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

I've never believed the 'gateway' argument, either.
    Someone could point to me as an example of the 'gateway' effect; however, it's statistical gameplay.
    I smoked pot at a very young age and was a regular pot smoker into my 20s.
    I tried a lot of other recreational drugs in my youth. Was pot a gateway, and, if so, why?

I can only speak to my experience of the gateway effect:
    • The illegal nature of pot forced me to associate with drug dealers, who usually had other products to try.
    • I realized pretty quickly that adults had lied to me about pot and its effects. As a result, I was more inclined to try other drugs because adults were probably lying about those, too.

justgladtobehere likes this.
  11. Riptide

Riptide Well-Known Member

I did drive under the influence of pot, though.
    Might have got all the way up to 25 mph.

Hokie_pokie likes this.
  12. Mr. Sunshine

Mr. Sunshine Well-Known Member

Yeah, BY FAR the No. 1 (well, No. 2) pastime of the group I hung with in high school was to drive around and listen to music at an unhealthy volume so as to enhance our daily circumstance.

Draft saved Draft deleted