1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Final College World Series at Rosenblatt

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Johnny Dangerously, Jun 19, 2010.

1. micropolitan guy

micropolitan guy Well-Known Member

JD: 1955! Clap, clap, clap clap clap.

The ACC prolongs its legacy of choking in Omaha.

2. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Michael Roth...that is legend. One of my favorite things about the CWS is how the book flies out the window in elimination games - bring the closer on in the fourth or fifth and see how long he can hold the fort.
    Is Roth considered a pro prospect?
    Then there's the dark side of steel balls at the CWS: Ben McDonald. How many years did Skip Bertman take off his major league career by leaving him in to throw 180 pitches in a complete-game 5-2 opening-round loss, then bringing him two nights later, second and third, nobody out with a run-one lead in the ninth? Yes, he struck out the side for the save, but he started again three nights later and Texas beat him like Lefty Williams in Game 8 of the '19 Series. Big Ben made the majors, but didn't last long.

3. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

There always seems to be a storyline of overworked pitchers in the CWS. You know, "win one for the old alma mater." The guy who started today is the closer tomorrow.
    UCLA has taken a lot of crap over the years for not reaching the CWS. The former coach, Gary Adams, sent as many players to the pros as Texas, Arizona State and the Florida schools. But he refused to abuse his players and he never had enough arms to get out of the regionals.

4. mb

mb Active Member

RE: Roth

As best I can tell/remember, Carolina signed him as a hitter. I'd be flabbergasted if he had any kind of pro prospects as a pitcher.

5. Blitz

Blitz Active Member

S.Carolina represented its conference nicely tonight. (7-1 winners in Game 1)
    Had Kentucky not slipped a step or two prior to the hoops Final Four, it might've been a clean sweep of 2009-10 championships in the major men's sports for the SEC.
    I am happy for the Gamecocks because this is the first real stab at a title in a major sport for the school (that I can remember) since joining the league back around 1990.
    They've always competed well enough in all sports, but rarely had final success.

6. mb

mb Active Member

Chickens had a crack at the CWS title in 2002, the last year it was a one-and-done final. Like this year, Carolina lost the first game and exhausted pretty much every available arm just getting out of their half of the bracket. Lost 12-6 to Texas in the final.

As a fanboy, I'm conditioned to losing and am positive they'll find a way to screw this up. Of course, I was just as sure that they had no chance last night, either.

7. highlander

highlander Member

That was a lackluster performance by UCLA in Game 1.

Looked like my guys from TCU in the final game against UCLA. Other than Bryan Holaday, most of them seemed to be going through the motions. Have a feeling they were just tired and didn't have much left in the tank. Oh well, maybe next year. The first step is always the hardest.

8. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Roth gets the start tonight.

9. mb

mb Active Member

He's been great. Other guy's been better.

10. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Ucla can, in fact, pitch. Saw it up close a few weeks ago. Seeing it on TV these past couple of weeks.

11. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

Don't know if anyone else is watching this. Tied 1-1, bottom of 9th, Cocky's batting.

UCLA's closer blew the save and the game-tying run. After getting the 3rd out, he flies into the dugout and slams his hand into the bench. Hand swollen as hell now. He's done for the night.

Real stupid, kid. This may cost your team the win and the title for that outburst.

12. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Least this is a game.
    Just saw replay of that for the second time. What a stupid move.

Draft saved Draft deleted