1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

    Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

    We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Filing taxes on Freelance wages

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Boyznblu80, Jan 18, 2010.

  1. Boyznblu80

    Boyznblu80 Member

    I'm not sure where to post this so I figured i'd post it here. Moderators, feel free to move to appropriate place. Okay, so I've been told I have to file a 1099 for freelance wages earned so far. Is this right? Please someone with more know-how help me.
  2. KYSportsWriter

    KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

  3. Boyznblu80

    Boyznblu80 Member

    thanks, but i saw this when i was googling about it. Anything else?
  4. The Big Ragu

    The Big Ragu Moderator Staff Member

    Boyz, You don't file a 1099. The people you worked for file it. They have to send you a copy of the 1099 they filed with the IRS. It tells the IRS that you did work as an independent contractor or freelancer for them and how much they paid you. You are responsible for making your own tax deductions on that income (including SS tax) and forwarding it to the IRS.
  5. cranberry

    cranberry Well-Known Member

    Typically, freelancers file quarterly IRS payments (as I understand it from my freelancer wife who dutifully makes these quarterly payments rather than pay for the drunken binges to far-off lands that I usually propose as an alternative).
  6. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    You'll need to file Schedule SE, which is a pretty basic form and should be available anywhere tax forms are available, or online.

    You'll fill in the amount you earned from any 1099s you have (think of a 1099 as being like a W-2, except without any withholding), then you'll add up a couple other lines, and it'll give you the math to do. Basically, you'll be paying 15.3 percent of the amount you made in self-employment tax -- making up for the Social Security and Medicare tax you haven't been paying.

    And of course, whatever's on the 1099 also has to be reported as income and have income tax paid on it. But the kind-hearted souls at the IRS will allow you to deduct half the self-employment tax figure.

    If you haven't been putting money aside to pay the taxman, you're in for a pretty sharp sting.

    ETA: And yes, if you're making more than a certain amount, and I have no idea what that amount is, you're supposed to file quarterly payments. If you don't, I believe there's a penalty. That's to keep you from holding back the money until tax time so that you can make interest on it.
  7. Hank_Scorpio

    Hank_Scorpio Active Member

    If you made less than $600, i believe you aren't taxed on it.
  8. deskslave

    deskslave Active Member

    It's $400, and I'm pretty sure that's just for self-employment tax. It still has to be reported as income.
  9. Boom_70

    Boom_70 Well-Known Member

    As offset you can also deduct related expenses if they can be documented.
Draft saved Draft deleted

Share This Page