1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting off a cold

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Kritter47, Feb 2, 2007.

1. Kritter47

Kritter47 Member

You guys were just so full of helpful advice last time, I figured I'd try again.

I'm in that pre-cold stage. Raw throat, chills and generally feeling icky. I'm not sick yet, but will be in the next day or so if I don't do anything about it.

I'm out of my prescription antihistamine/decongestant (Allegra-D 12 hour) and am too cheap to refill the $60 bottle. Are there any other OTC meds, beyond Claritin-D, that function the same? What else can I do to fend off the week of nastiness ahead?

I really don't have time to be sick right now.

2. Clever username

Clever username Active Member

Orange juice. That's all you need. Plenty of it.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Alcohol, followed by bed rest.
    Repeat as needed

4. Norman Stansfield

Norman Stansfield Active Member

Massive amounts of Vitamin C.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'd take that a step further: get some packets of Emergen-C or Airborne tablets and use one in a large glass of water each day. It'll help.

6. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Ginger ale, chicken noodle soup, Claritin-D.

Like duct tape, it fixes everything. :D

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Robitussen! </chris rock>

8. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Lots of throat lozenges ... not only will it soothe the raw throat, but they also keep the nasal passages from stopping up.

Better yet, they don't interfere with whatever over-the-counter medication you may need to take from time to time and usually do a lot to minimize that icky feeling.

Get better quickly.

9. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

As for cough drops, I now recommend the menthol-flavor Robitussin drops. They're mediciny, but terrific.

10. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Hit the oranges, hard. And drink.

11. Johnny Dangerously

Johnny Dangerously Well-Known Member

Good advice. I do that, plus:

I see my doctor, who hooks me up to an IV with 10,000 CCs of Vitamin C, some B-12 and other good stuff. Seventy-five bucks, but well worth it.

And/or:

A hot shower, followed by Vicks VapoRub all over the chest, and a dab under the nostrils. Then pull on an old t-shirt, heat up some water for some TheraFlu, dive under the covers, sweat it out and wake up feeling better.

12. Cadet

Cadet Guest

Damn, I'd love an IV of B vitamins. Hook us up, JD!

Draft saved Draft deleted