1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting in hockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 1, 2012.

1. Smasher_Sloan

Smasher_Sloan Active Member

So explain that to me. Crosby was basically out for almost the entire calendar year of 2011. Didn't Pittsburgh have a brawler to theoretically prevent the hits that gave him a concussion?

And how did he get hurt again when he came back?

Where's the efficiency of these deterrents?

Didn't the Flyers have some muscle when Lindros was getting concussions? How about the Islanders' protection for LaFontaine?

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  2. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Has anybody said that concussions would be prevented? Of course they won't, it is far to physical and fast of a sport to prevent them.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

JR, I agree with so much of what you've said about this. I wish you'd let this out of it, because of the implied tone.

Of course hockey fights are more skillful, more ballsy than baseball fights. They have lots of practice.

A baseball fight is not "embarrassing" any more than lining up two goons at center ice is "embarrassing."

4. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I'm guessing he is talking about the actual fight part of it where it isn't one on one. I could be wrong but that is how I took it.

5. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

OK. That makes sense, if that's how he meant it.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Even if you detest hockey fights with all your being, gotta respect the thoroughness of that site. Simply outstanding.

7. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

You talk about growth in the U.S., and I think about when Gretzky got traded to L.A. He turned that into a hockey town by himself, so dare I say there are a lack of big-name players in the NHL? For example, what if Sidney Crosby had been drafted by the Thrashers, or the Blue Jackets?

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

There are a lack of big names for those who don't know the game. There are plenty of big names for those who do. How many Gretzky's and Crosby's are there?

9. Gator

Gator Well-Known Member

Gretzky made non-hockey fans hockey fans, and fringe fans super fans. When was the last time that happened outside of Canada?

10. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Gretzky is a once in a lifetime player. If that's what it takes to get a market going, you don't have a market. that is not the NHL's fault

11. HC

HC Well-Known Member

Does Gretzky have extra impact since he was in a place that worships celebrity?

12. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Remember, Gretzky, went to LA, not friggin' Columbus. Not a destination for marketing players. Just ask Rick Nash

And don't forget that crook Bruce McNall was instrumental in making hockey glitzy in LA..

Draft saved Draft deleted