1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting in hockey

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Gator, Jan 1, 2012.

1. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

Because you don't sound like good or educated enough of a hockey fan to be given one.
    No offense.
    Hockey fans are tired of breaking this down into itty bitty baby pieces for non-fans.

2. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I played my first organized hockey game in 1963. I played my last in 2009.

Explain the game to me.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

And an answer like that is the kind of separatist bullshit that keeps hockey fans down in number. You NEED to explain it to laymen. It's not your special little club.

4. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

And did you ever fight?
    Did you ever want to fight?

5. 3OctaveFart

3OctaveFart Guest

You need to explain it to some rigid 'fan' that something is part of a game chromosomally? That it is institutional?
    Oh, no. That time has passed.

6. JC

JC Well-Known Member

I think some of the answers still apply. I would hate to see fighting eliminated from the game, but I would like to see the player that provides nothing but his fist eliminated from the game.

7. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

Fighting is already almost entirely gone from the European game and the college game and I don't miss it there. In fact I prefer those versions of hockey. North American professional hockey could end fighting in a single season if it chose to, but fighting persists because North American professional hockey thinks fighting sells tickets and DVDs. And it sort of does - but to the same small, static audience. The game traps itself in a retrograde feedback loop of its own ridiculous traditions. This is a sport after all that didn't require helmets in its premier league until 1979.

Turns out Don Cherry isn't hockey's soul, he's the game's reptile brainstem.

And things won't change while that kind of thinking steers the game.

8. JC

JC Well-Known Member

Of course you could rid of it, which would be a detriment to the game IMO. I hate the European game, I like physical hockey and I really believe if you take fighting out of the game the stick work will become a lot worse. Th biggest misnomer about European hockey is how wide open it is, it isn't. They trap more than teams in the NHL.

To each their own, if you prefer a game with fighting banned who is anybody to argue with what someone likes but banning fighting is not going to magically bring in new fans, it just isn't.

9. Azrael

Azrael Well-Known Member

I think a very physical version of the game without fighting - like that played in the WCHA, i.e. - would keep the old audience, but would also bring in a few new people as well.

Trouble is, we'll never know until someone decides to try.

10. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Please don't presume to speak for all hockey fans.

And like Azrael I played my first hockey game in about 1960 and my last in about 2000.

I'm not as adamant as he is about fighting, but its place in the game is tremendously overvalued. And it doesn't help that the league and dinosaur owners like Ed Snyder don't want to anything about removing it

11. JR

JR Well-Known Member

JC, you and I agree on a lot of things but I'm not with you on this.

The old "stickwork will go up" argument is old, tired and unproven. Stickwork used to be a lot worse than it is now--I mean, guys like Rocket Richard used to use their sticks as hatchets.

And if you remove fighting, it doesn't follow that you remove the physicality.

Look at the OHL: they were the first league to ban head shots and there hasn't been any reduction in hitting and checking.

The problem with fighting now is that there is no penalty. Sure, two guys go to the box but the five minutes in there equals about two games worth of ice time.

And JC, the Europeans invented the trap as we know it.

12. JC

JC Well-Known Member

We do normally agree but we will agree to disagree on this. I have also played along time and played junior when it was filthy as ever and truly believe that fighting keeps people somewhat honest.

Oh I know they invented the trap, that is why I find it amusing when people talk about the beauty of the European game

Draft saved Draft deleted