1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting a stop light violation in Ohio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

It makes sense that Ohio has more state troopers and cops patrolling the highways. I've found that Ohio drivers are among the worst around. Basic shit like knowing how yield signs work and letting people merge onto the highway seem to be foreign concepts.

2. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Question? Is there a delay between the light turning red and the other stop light turning green?

3. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

There should be, but it's not very long.

4. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Just curious. In Toronto there's a three second delay so there's lots of time to run the red light. :)

If you jam on your brakes on an amber here, the car behind you will be in your back seat.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

My trial date is this Thursday. I think I have a pretty good case set up...just have to get my notes together. I'm going in confident, but I understand I am most likely to lose...but I honestly feel I am in the right to challenge this.
    I put in a request to see the video dash cam and the officer's notes and I am taking pictures of the intersection to bring to court. I also have switched my drivers license and gotten everything squared away on that end (even though I was not ticketed for anything on that part).
    My wife noted that the cop was actually a car length or more BEHIND us by the time we got to the light turning yellow...so that helps me in the statement that I didn't feel safe stopping in time.
    Also, looking over the Ohio law (ORC 4511.13) there is no mention of having to be through the entire intersection (it also doesn't say I can be partially in it, but I will make that point).
    Thanks to all those that came with some advise and challenged me on parts of my story...it helped in gathering info.

6. Bruce Leroy

Bruce Leroy Active Member

Yeah, it's three seconds here too. If I'm waiting at a red light, I typically watch for the other light to turn red and start to go after a two-count as long as there are no cars still coming from the other direction. Sometimes I'll be halfway into the intersection before my light turns green. Keep it moving, folks.

7. SFIND

SFIND Well-Known Member

I find it funny that some of you think every Ohioan is an Ohio State fan. Assume that in Cincinnati, and have a UC fan throw a punch your way in a matter of minutes in that town. Or for that matter, assume that everyone's an OSU fan in one of the six towns with DI MAC schools.

As far as state troopers in this great state, I've talked with a few. They are very proud of their organization and say they are the best in the nation, and that other states look to how they run their program. They're a little on the arrogant side. Don't try to sweet talk them. Give them a few "Yes Sir/No Sir" and you'll be much better for it.

Oh, and don't run red lights. Almost every major city (at least the one's I driven extensively in) have red light cameras.

8. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

Also, take your hourly rate at work, a good estimate of what your time is worth, and multiply that by the number of hours you spend on this by the end of it.
    Then, win or lose, you'll know exactly how much you lost.

9. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

Correct. Last time I crossed the state, it was crawling with bears. Did not do more than five over anywhere, not only because I don't live anywhere near Ohio, but also because I was a little concerned that I could be a target with out-of-state plates and a vehicle that, while not garish or outlandish, might attract attention. Granted, I was driving strictly on superslabs and did not deal with stoplights. But I lost count of the number of trooper cruisers I saw. It was nuts.

10. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

I'm actually having fun doing this..and it's not taking away much from my day other than maybe playing You Don't Know Jack on facebook or watching old episodes of Tosh.O! LOL

11. Buck

Buck Well-Known Member

As long as you're having fun with it.

12. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Sorry but since you knew a cop was near you, you should have erred on the side of caution and not blown through the yellow. Not much sympathy for you here dude. Why would you risk that, knowing the guy was behind and to your left?

Draft saved Draft deleted