1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fighting a stop light violation in Ohio

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by spikechiquet, Jul 17, 2012.

1. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

But, Ky...
    You don't know why he was pulled over. Could have been expired tag or some other reason, really. Sounds like I'm shilling for OHP, but I'm really not. I grew up in Ohio, drive there regularly now (with Kentucky plates). Routinely drive 71-72 in 65mph zones, or just in the flow of traffic. To date, only speeding ticket I've ever gotten was doing 80 in a 65 zone in Texas.

2. KYSportsWriter

KYSportsWriter Well-Known Member

True. I was just using that as an example after Hank's post.

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Growing up in Ohio it always seemed like you could get away with 5 over pretty easy. On the turnpike, you seem to get away with 9 over. The biggest difference between Ohio and other states, in my experience, is that Ohio has about 500x more speed traps than other states. Whenever I'd drive Ohio (Cleveland)-to-Wisconsin, I'd usually see around 5 speed traps before leaving the state and then MAYBE 1 the rest of the way.

4. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

Had almost the exact same thing happen to me several years ago. Only difference was the road was wet, so I didn't feel comfortable stopping that quickly. Really wish I had fought it, but I just didn't want to go through the hassle. But did the officer really believe I would intentionally run a light with him right behind me? I was pissed.

5. spikechiquet

spikechiquet Well-Known Member

OK, I understand the devil's advocate, my rebuttel:

No, I was 3-4 lengths behind him BEFORE he turned into the left lane and so we were close to even when the light turned yellow. He slammed his brakes on, I didn't. I wasn't going over the speed limit that is for sure.
    Actually, yes, I was under the light (the hood at least was, so a good 1/3 of my car).

I still have no clue why he switched into the left lane before the light. It wasn't a left-turn lane, so I have no clue what he was doing. But at the time, I figured he was turning, so I paid him very little attention.

6. spikechiquet

Oh, and just to clear it up: I have lived in Ohio for more than a year, I just had not gotten my license changed (I got it done last week). I have Ohio registration/plates and Ohio insurance, but when I got pulled over I still had my Indiana license.

7. Killick

Killick Well-Known Member

Spike:

I wouldn't mention seeing the light change in your arguments at all because, unless you're seeing it through the sun roof or you're a contortionist pressed against the windshield craning to see the light, it just doesn't make sense that you can see a light hanging 16-18 feet above the road while you're under it. Just sayin'.

8. sgreenwell

sgreenwell Well-Known Member

I also have a Devil's advocate question - Is it worth the time and effort to go fight the ticket? $125 is a pretty decent ding, but it's not a couple hundred bucks, and honestly, I'm lazy and I'd rather just pay that than taking a couple hours off work to travel down to traffic court.

9. BDC99

BDC99 Well-Known Member

This was the way I went, but it did end up boosting my insurance premiums a little bit. If you have the time and inclination to fight it, I say go for it.

10. spikechiquet

I work at night...it's no hassle for me to go to court during the day. It's also two points on my license..not that big of a deal, but yeah, it's more the fact that I actually believe I am innocent.

11. imjustagirl

imjustagirl Active Member

Hate to agree with this guy, but he's right.

12. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I've also seen more state troopers (and city cops) patrolling the highways in Ohio than any other state by far.

Draft saved Draft deleted