1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fifth-worst job: Newspaper reporter?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by SF_Express, Apr 11, 2012.

1. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

Or, they can go from washing lettuce to the Plain Dealer:

[​IMG]

2. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

I think it was weighted to average salaries, and honestly, newspaper reporter gets 9/9 for the deadline part of stress. (Though we do not tend to make life and death decisions.)

I think it leaves out job satisfaction. Dairy farmer is 199, and the folks I know who do that work hard, but they like it. Lumberjack is dangerous, but some guys live to be out in the woods. I was surprised how low the oil rig worker salary is.

Waiter/waitress, that I can buy as a lousy job, but again some folks like it.

Broadcasters, I think are a lot like reporters, and I know I get satisfaction from my job.

3. jr/shotglass

jr/shotglass Well-Known Member

Lumberjack? No. 200?? Pshaw, he says.

[​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  4. Versatile

Versatile Active Member

I enjoy that type of stress a lot more than having customers bark orders at me like my boss, as I did when I was waiting tables.

5. jr/shotglass

I've always said I like deadline stress.

And yet, every couple of months, I have this nightmare of being 20 minutes past deadline and nothing seems to be getting done.

6. Jake_Taylor

Jake_Taylor Well-Known Member

I've sometimes thought that if I got out of the business I might want to be a butcher. That was on the list too, so I guess I stick with what I'm doing for now. :-\

7. Stitch

Stitch Active Member

I liked going out and getting info on stories. I didn't care for writing stories on the new hair salon opening or the church luncheon. I also didn't care for the stress of putting out 5-6 pages by myself while writing 3-4 stories on the day the SE was off, and the ME just didn't see to notice the difference in workload around the office.

8. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Definitely. It's also a motivator for me.

9. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Still have that one. Had one just the other night.

But I get the "naked in school and cannot find the classroom" one more often.

10. jr/shotglass

I have the "hearing you have a final in 10 minutes for a class you thought you'd dropped 10 weeks ago" one.

11. farmerjerome

farmerjerome Active Member

This is a stressful job, but it's not the post-game deadlines that get me, I thrive on it. It's the stress of not getting my subject to call me back so I don't even have a story to file that would miss deadline.

As a side note, my dearly departed father's occupation -- dairy farmer -- came in at 199th. I guess he really could have held it over my head that he had a shittier job than me.

12. BillyT

BillyT Active Member

Our town has been working on its town plan, so I have spent a good deal of time with dairy farmers lately.

Again, there is a satisfaction component, I think.

Draft saved Draft deleted