1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Fidel Castro resigns

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by deskslave, Feb 19, 2008.

1. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

Well, some real estate speculation does seem in order.

2. pallister

pallister Guest

I knew it wouldn't take long before I read a "Castro is bad, but ..." argument.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

4. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

My wife and I have always said we want to be on the first plane to Cuba once the travel embargo is lifted because we want to see it before it becomes Jamaica.

5. So the embargo is bad ... and ending the embargo will be bad, too?

Jones, have you talked to the avreage Cuban and see how he felt? Or are they all too brainwashed to give you an honest answer?

The ex-pats in Miami sound worse than Castro, if I'm reading your post correctly.

6. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Well, on the issues of health care and education, there are legitimate "bad, but" points to be made.

7. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

These folks still believe they're going to make a triumphant return and that they're getting their property back when they get there. To these people the Bay of Pigs thing was just an unfortunate setback.

Now, they're waiting for Gen. Petraeus to get done with Iraq so he can come in and fix things in Cuba. I'm sure President Bush has promised them that Cuba is coming up on the regime change list, just behind Iran and Venezuela and just before North Korea.

8. pallister

pallister Guest

So how much of a pass does a dictator get if he does a few "good" things? Just curious.

9. All I know is that I don't see anybody taking '57 Chevys and floating them from Key West to Havana. Must be a reason that traffic is all going in one direction.

10. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How much of a pass does China get compared to Cuba?

11. So "prisoners" who get beaten in their jails don't have to pick up the tab for having their injuries treated? Nice.

12. In my opinion, they don't.

But China isn't also 90 miles from the U.S. mainland, either. And Cuba doesn't have a billion people, either.

You can be consistent with policy, but sometimes you have to be practical, too. But, in China's case, we sometimes can be too practical.

Draft saved Draft deleted