1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FIBA Americas Championship (Olympic Basketball Qualifier)

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Armchair_QB, Aug 23, 2007.

1. spnited

spnited Active Member

You see, shot, that's the difference you making a logical point and starman going off on a totally moronic rant about stomping on people.

I'm sure 127-100 over Mexico last night was a failure to starman.

2. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Shouldn't a team that represents The United States of America actually look like the people of The United States of America?[/EEOC]

3. spnited

spnited Active Member

Right, racist, we need more white guys.

4. heyabbott

heyabbott Well-Known Member

Don't hate the messenger.

5. shotglass

shotglass Guest

6. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

We got too many white guys on the team as it is. Mike Miller, here's your bus ticket. ;)

Oh, by the way, J.J. Redick, please stay away from all future practice sessions (unless you're there to polish Coach K's shoes, mop his brow, or bring him a cold bottle of Gatorade). ;) ;)

Relatively speaking, it was. Mexico is not even one of the better teams in the tournament.

BUT, the team was playing its 4th game in 5 days, Tayshaun Prince, one of the team's better perimeter defenders, who presumably would have gotten a hand in the face of some of the 3-point shooters, was injured and didn't play.

The game was never in danger, because K has them continuing to attack offensively the whole game. Under Ole Ratface, you just know when Mexico made its mini-run, he would have started screaming about the necessity to burn more time off the shot clock, probably bench Kobe for taking "crazy shots" and "not playing the right way," and all of a sudden, instead of cutting 15 points off the lead, Mexico would have cut 25 points off it, all of a sudden you have a real ball game, Mexico hits three more 3's in a row, the friendly refs make a couple of goofy calls, yadda yadda blah blah.

7. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

A couple little, silly, statistical notes from the tourney.

Team USA leads in the following categories:
    Total Points, 588.
    Points Per Game, 117.6.
    Field Goal Shooting Percentage, 56.6%.
    Two-Point Field Goal Shooting Percentage, 63.5%.
    Three-Point Field Goal Shooting Percentage, 46.3%.
    Free Throw Percentage, 76.3%
    Rebounds Per Game, 39.8.
    Blocks Per Game, 6.6.
    Assists Per Game, 25.2.
    Steals Per Game, 10.6.

Just for shits and giggles, Team USA is 10th in turnovers (10 per game) and fouls (18.2 per game).

I think our national angst can be assuaged. Just take a deep breath. Then we can all walk around with our cocks out, secure in the knowledge that USA Basketball will win this international tournament. ::)

8. Starman

Starman Well-Known Member

Oh I do that anyway. ;) :D :D

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

It's nice to know the the USA is reclaiming its title as the best team in the United States.

USA 88, Puerto Rico 56, third quarter.

10. shotglass

shotglass Guest

They're doing a little more than that here, king.

11. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I know. I'm just pissed that we can't win the big international tournaments any more. I don't ask for glitz and glitter, flash and dance, dunks and dazzle - just wins. And nothing was more embarrassing than getting our asses beat by Puerto Rico at the last Olympics.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Agreed.

Draft saved Draft deleted